Layer7 API Management

• 1.  How to gather metrics data for external monitoring ?

Posted May 23, 2018 04:21 AM

Hi Team.

A customer would like to collect metrics data of his Gateway cluster, typically the data you see in the Gateway dashboard, to monitor stuff like requests per time period per service.

The only capability I found to get this information from the cluster, is using SNMP.

Are there any other capabilities to get  this kind of data?

Would it be supported/good idea to access the collected data directly from the service_metrics /service_metrics_detail tables of the ssg DB?

Regards

.............Michael 

• 2.  Re: How to gather metrics data for external monitoring ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2018 04:51 AM

There is a tactical assertion to access the metrics, GatewayMetricsAssertion

• 3.  Re: How to gather metrics data for external monitoring ?

Posted May 23, 2018 05:40 AM

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this!

So the common approach would be, to create a service/policy which uses this assertion.

The external monitoring tool can call this service periodically and will get the result of this assertion

or

The service itself is executed periodically by a managed task and sends the metrics data to the 3rd party monitoring tool.

correct?

• 4.  Re: How to gather metrics data for external monitoring ?

Posted May 23, 2018 05:46 AM

Just a last one: Where / How can I get these tactical assertions ?

• 5.  Re: How to gather metrics data for external monitoring ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 21, 2019 11:35 AM

Just to close the loop on this thread, the tactical assertions will require a support case be opened to request it.

• 6.  Re: How to gather metrics data for external monitoring ?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2018 05:51 AM

Yes, both are valid ideas. Another way is, to gather information by yourself with an encas which uses 

"Accumulate data in memory"  Accumulate Data in Memory Assertion - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation . With this you are completely free what to do and to collect.