Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

AWI configuration settings

• 1.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Feb 21, 2017 12:02 PM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Aug 18, 2020 03:56 AM

Below is a list of AWI settings that can be used to fine-tune the way the AWI behaves. Some of these are undocumented. Documented properties are in bold. (Undocumented parameters were discovered by enabling AWI tracing.) Newly identified properties are in italics.

Settings in felix.properties

Setting Description Default Documented
    felix.auto.deploy.dir Directory from which to load main AWI application WEB-INF/bundle
    com.uc4.ecc.config.dir Directory from which to load AWI config files config
    com.uc4.ecc.autoinstall.dir Directory from which to load auto-installed plug-ins WEB-INF/autoinstall
    com.uc4.ecc.webapp.context Application name? (overwritten at launch) null
    com.uc4.ecc.log.dir Directory for writing logs Inherited from Tomcat
    com.uc4.ecc.development.logback.config Configuration file to use instead of logback.xml null
    com.uc4.ecc.translation.file Translation file uc.msl

Settings in configuration.properties

debug Enable verbose debugging output false
    stacktraces.visible Print stack traces to log true
    cache 3600
    customHomeDashboardsFolder DASHBOARDS
    defaultHomeDashboard null
    automationEngineTimeoutMilliseconds 180000
    automationEngineOpenConnectionTimeoutMilliseconds 10000
    automationEngine.index -1
    asyncLoadingTimeoutMilliseconds 180000
    xRequestExecutorTimeoutMilliseconds 90000
    shutdownExecutionTimeoutMilliseconds 30000
    cookie.maxAge 1209600
    autofill.cookie.allowed Use cached login info true
    sso.enabled Deprecated in 12.3 false
    sso.saml.enabled New in 12.3 false
    sso.kdc.enabled New in 12.3 false
    sso.retry.timeout New in 12.3 10000
    push Deprecated in 12.3 Replaced by allowWebsockets
    push.websocket.path New in ~12.3.2 /{path}
    allowWebsockets true
    poll.interval 200
    push.suspend.timeout 60000
    parameter_login.enabled false
    parameter_login.with_password Enable passing password via URL false
    plugins.autoinstall.ae true
    plugins.autoinstall.ae.cache.dir tomcat/temp/ecc-plugins
    plugins.autoinstall.ae.cache.clear_on_startup true
    plugins.autoinstall.ae.store_name AE folder where AWI plugins are stored UC_ECC_PLUGINS
    plugins.autoinstall.ae.registry New in 12.2 UC_BUNDLE_REGISTRY
    ae.max.widget.activites 100
    maxOpenBulkActions Max. # of objects for bulk actions. 50
    htmlheader.meta.tag
    E.g., htmlheader.meta.description
    Set arbitrary HTML header meta tags null
    plugins.metatags

Set meta tags for AWI plugins

New in 12.3

null
    closeIdleSessions false
    heartbeatInterval 100
    wfDisplaySettings Precedence of title and name in workflow tasks TITLE,NAME
    websiteUrl Website link in About box http://www.automic.com
    supportUrl Support site link in About box http://support.automic.com
    promptset.validation.mandatory true
    helpUrl.english v12.1 and earlier http://docs.automic.com
    helpUrl.german v12.1 and earlier http://docs.automic.com
    helpUrl.french v12.1 and earlier http://docs.automic.com
    helpUrl.pattern v12.2 and later https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/{0}/ALL/components/DOCU/{1}/{2}/#CSHID={3} 
    helpUrl.version New in 12.2 12.3
    helpUrl.product New in 12.2 Automic Automation Guides
    ie.refresh.workaround true
    actions.folder AE folder where AWI actions are stored PACKAGES/ACTIONS
    psDisplaySettings Precedence of title and name in prompt sets TITLE,NAME
    performance.test.active null
    rendering.workflowEntitiesWarningThreshold null

The properties in felix.properties and configuration.properties can also be specified dynamically at run time, when Tomcat is started. The properties can be specified with the -D flag of the Java executable on the command line, or can be added to in the JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS environment variable. A value specified at run time will take effect only if the option is not specified in the respective properties file.

Settings in colors.properties

maincolor FAC800
    white.background FALSE
    logo.filename theme/logo.png
    logo.mimetype Specify a different type of logo than PNG image/png

The properties in colors.properties cannot be specified dynamically at run time.

Revision history

2017.11.06 Added properties that can be set in felix.properties.
     Updated with settings new in AWI v12.1: actions.folderpsDisplaySettingsperformance.test.activerendering.workflowEntitiesWarningThreshold.
    2018.01.22 Added maxOpenBulkActions.

2018.06.06 Added helpUrl.pattern (new in v12.2)

2018.07.09 Added helpUrl.versionhelpUrl.product, and plugins.autoinstall.ae.registry (new in v12.2)

2019.02.26 Changed automationEngineOpenConnectionTimeoutMilliseconds from undocumented to documented. (It was added to the documentation.)
    2019.07.31 Added properties introduced in v12.3sso.saml.enabled and sso.kdc.enabled, and sso.retry.timeout.
    2020.07.09 Added push.websocket.path property.

• 2.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Mar 14, 2017 08:57 AM
    Hi Michael_Lowry

ad UC_ECC_PLUGINS: You'll find a short explanation about this in our Online docu:

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.0/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Objects/obj_storage.htm?Highlight=UC_ECC_PLUGINS

AWI automatically loads the standard plug-ins by default. (These are already delivered with AWI in its WEB-INF\autoinstall folder.) To install additional plug-ins, such as those for the Package Manager or from the Automic Marketplace, your administrator must upload the related files to a standard storage object called UC_ECC_PLUGINS. This storage object is delivered starting with Automation Engine V11.2 and placed in the STORE folder on the system client (Client 0000). An administrator can change the contents of the object, but cannot delete the object.

When new plug-in files are saved to UC_AWI_PLUGINS, the related plug-in is installed at the next AWI login. When a file is removed from UC_ECC_PLUGINS, the related plug-in is no longer loaded at the next AWI login .

Best regards,
    Karin Wasinger

• 3.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Mar 22, 2017 09:35 AM
    Thanks, Karin_Wasinger_8156. It is an interesting approach. I would be interested to know if this approach will be expanded in the future. When I visited Automic HQ a couple of weeks ago, I learned about the centralized agent upgrade, and how storage objects are used for this too. In that case, it is possible to upgrade individual agents without upgrading them all.

I envision a similar capability for RA solutions. If the whole RA solution were stored in a storage object, then the capability could be offered to upgrade individual RA agents to a new version of the solution without applying the new version at once to all agents in the system. This would offer a good deal of flexibility. As it is, RA solution upgrades are all-or-nothing.

• 4.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Jun 06, 2017 04:13 PM
    I just found the INI table which seems to have user defined AWI settings like the home dashboard (after user clicked 'set as home dashboard'). Anyone has a clue on how this can ve programmatically modified & what defaults can be overwritten per-user? Couldn't find anything in the API documentation.

• 5.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Jun 07, 2017 02:40 AM
    On June 6, Joel Wiesmann wrote:
    I just found the INI table which seems to have user defined AWI settings like the home dashboard (after user clicked 'set as home dashboard').
    I’m not aware of any APIs or other ways to change these settings programmatically. Where are the data stored?

• 6.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Jun 07, 2017 01:15 PM
    Data finds it's way into the INI table in the database, but I can't figure out how it's getting there. All settings in there are linked with the user (INI_IDNR <> OH_IDNR to USER object). Also encoding is strange for some reason.

• 7.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Aug 28, 2017 06:44 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 11, 2020 10:27 AM
    I think I figured out how to decode the AWI user settings stored in the INI table. In rows where INI_Section begins with “ECC.”, INI_Value contains base64-encoded fragments of XML. For a set of rows having the same INI_Idnr, INI_IDText, and INI_Section, if you combine all of the XML fragments in order of INI_Key, you will get the whole XML file.

Here is an Oracle SQL query that will fetch the a user's AWI settings. Just change MYUSER to the name of the user.

-- https://erikwramner.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/coding-and-decoding-base64-in-plsql/
    create or replace function decode_base64(p_clob_in in clob) return blob is
    v_blob blob;
    v_result blob;
    v_offset integer;
    v_buffer_size binary_integer := 48;
    v_buffer_varchar varchar2(48);
    v_buffer_raw raw(48);
    begin
    if p_clob_in is null then
    return null;
    end if;
    dbms_lob.createtemporary(v_blob, true);
    v_offset := 1;
    for i in 1 .. ceil(dbms_lob.getlength(p_clob_in) / v_buffer_size) loop
    dbms_lob.read(p_clob_in, v_buffer_size, v_offset, v_buffer_varchar);
    v_buffer_raw := utl_raw.cast_to_raw(v_buffer_varchar);
    v_buffer_raw := utl_encode.base64_decode(v_buffer_raw);
    dbms_lob.writeappend(v_blob, utl_raw.length(v_buffer_raw), v_buffer_raw);
    v_offset := v_offset + v_buffer_size;
    end loop;
    v_result := v_blob;
    dbms_lob.freetemporary(v_blob);
    return v_result;
    end decode_base64;

-- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40526132/how-convert-clob-to-blob-in-oracle
    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION blob_to_clob (blob_in IN BLOB) RETURN CLOB AS
    v_clob CLOB;
    v_varchar VARCHAR2(32767);
    v_start PLS_INTEGER := 1;
    v_buffer PLS_INTEGER := 32767;
    BEGIN
    DBMS_LOB.CREATETEMPORARY(v_clob, TRUE);
    FOR i IN 1..CEIL(DBMS_LOB.GETLENGTH(blob_in) / v_buffer)
    LOOP
    v_varchar := UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_VARCHAR2(DBMS_LOB.SUBSTR(blob_in, v_buffer, v_start));
    DBMS_LOB.WRITEAPPEND(v_clob, LENGTH(v_varchar), v_varchar);
    v_start := v_start + v_buffer;
    END LOOP;
    RETURN v_clob;
    END blob_to_clob;

select OH_Name,INI_Idnr,INI_IdText,INI_Section,
    DBMS_XMLGEN.CONVERT(rtrim(
    xmlagg(
    xmlelement( e,blob_to_clob(decode_base64(INI_Value)) || ',' )
    ).extract( '//text()').getClobVal(),','
    ),1) as AWI_Setting_XML_Fragment
    from INI join OH on OH_Idnr = INI_Idnr
    where INI_Type = 'U'
    and OH_Name like 'S46JZ8%'
    and INI_Section like 'ECC.%'
    group by OH_Name,INI_Idnr,INI_IdText,INI_Section
    order by OH_Name,INI_Idnr,INI_IdText,INI_Section

Update 2020.11.11:
    I updated the SQL query to combine the XML fragments.

• 8.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Nov 11, 2020 10:32 AM
    Here is an Oracle SQL query that will list a user's refresh interval for AWI Process Monitoring views.
    select OH_Name,INI_Idnr,INI_IdText,INI_Section,
    EXTRACT(XMLTYPE(DBMS_XMLGEN.CONVERT(rtrim(
    xmlagg(
    xmlelement(e,INI_Value || ',' )
    ).extract( '//text()').getClobVal(),','
    ),1)),'/SETTINGS/REFRESH/WAIT/text()') as AWI_Setting_XML
    from INI join OH on OH_Idnr = INI_Idnr
    where INI_Type = 'U'
    and OH_Name like 'MYUSER%'
    and INI_Section = 'SETTINGS'
    group by OH_Name,INI_Idnr,INI_IdText,INI_Section
    order by OH_Name,INI_Idnr,INI_IdText,INI_Section

We are interested in knowing which users are setting the refresh interval to a very small number, because when such views are open, they could potentially put a greater load on the AE server.

• 9.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Oct 04, 2017 03:27 AM
    I updated the table with settings added in AWI v12.1: actions.folder, psDisplaySettings, performance.test.active, & rendering.workflowEntitiesWarningThreshold.

• 10.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Nov 06, 2017 10:43 AM
    The v12.1 documentation page on configuring the AWI documents two system properties for configuring the AWI, under the section Customize the configuration path.
    • com.uc4.ecc.config.dir — directory from which to read AWI config files
    • com.uc4.ecc.autoinstall.dir — directory from which to load auto-installed plug-ins
    Today I found a few more undocumented system properties by looking at the “ECC BOOT” messages in the “FRAMEWORK” log. (To see these messages, just enable a trace level of at least DEBUG, and restart the AWI.)
    • com.uc4.ecc.webapp.context — Application name? (overwritten at launch)
    • com.uc4.ecc.log.dir — Directory for writing logs
    • com.uc4.ecc.development.logback.config — Configuration file to use instead of logback.xml
    • com.uc4.ecc.translation.file — Translation file (default: uc.msl)
    • com.uc4.ecc.temp.dir — Temporary directory for bundle files of running plug-ins
    These properties can be set in the felix.properties file or added to CATALINA_OPTS. I have updated the table.

• 11.  AWI configuration settings

Posted Jan 22, 2018 11:06 AM
    I added maxOpenBulkActions to the list of parameters one may specify in configuration.properties. This parmeter is new in v12.1. Either I overlooked it before, or it was added in a recent update.

• 12.  Re: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jun 06, 2018 05:07 AM

The AWA v12.2 documentation has been available online since at least March. This documentation is incomplete, but it already contains some useful information about the upcoming release, due out later this month.

The AWI v12.2 configuration.properties docu page mentions a new AWI configuration parameter:

ParameterDescription
    helpUrl.pattern

Pattern for the URL to be used by the context-sensitive help. The parameters are placeholders and are defined as follows:

{0}

Language. For example: {german}

{1}

Version. For example: {12.2}

{2}

Product, which is {CDA%20Guides} or {AWA%20Guides}.

{3}

CSHID

Default value: https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/{0}/ALL/components/DOCU/{1}/{2}/#CSHID={3}

This confirms my guess that CSHID is a unique context identifier for context-sensitive help. The value of helpUrl.pattern parameter is a URL containing placeholders. The placeholders are automatically replaced by the AWI so that when context-sensitive help is activated, the correct documentation page is loaded for the particular language, version, product, and topic.

Because the product could differ depending on whether one is looking at a main AWI screen or, say, the screen of a plugin like an RA solution, it should be possible to deliver Context-sensitive help for AWI plug-ins.

I have added the new parameter to the table above. Note that v12.2 removes the earlier helpUrl.english, helpUrl.german, and helpUrl.french parameters.

• 13.  Re: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jul 09, 2018 10:47 AM

I took a look at an AWI v12.2 trace today, and discovered a few new undocumented configuration properties that were added in v12.2

• helpUrl.version
    • helpUrl.product
    • plugins.autoinstall.ae.registry

The first two let one override the version and product name used in the help URLs. I’m not sure what the third one does. I could find no mention of the default value, UC_BUNDLE_REGISTRY, anywhere in the documentation, and I could not locate the object in the AE system.

I added the new items to the table.

• 14.  Re: AWI configuration settings

Posted Dec 18, 2018 03:31 AM

hii,

I want to make changes to the login screen, i try uc.msl change but not efective.

how can I do that??

Thanks

• 15.  Re: AWI configuration settings

Posted Feb 26, 2019 04:58 AM

I saw this morning that the automationEngineOpenConnectionTimeoutMilliseconds parameter in configuration.properties has been added to the documentation.

• 16.  Re: AWI configuration settings

Posted May 15, 2019 08:56 AM

In helpUrl.pattern the final object help.htm in the path is missing. Therefore the pattern is https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/{0}/ALL/components/DOCU/{1}/{2}/help.htm#CSHID={3} 

In V12.2.2 the parameter {0} is replaced by wrong language names, e.g. "deutsch" or "englisch" in a german environment. A workaround is to insert a specific language in the URL, e.g. "german" or "english".

• 17.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jun 17, 2019 04:26 AM
    Hi All,

we have some statistic queries that take quite long. E.g. script executed 1000s of times. Calling the statistics / executions may run into timeout. 

In this thread i saw the following undocumented parameter:

automationEngineTimeoutMilliseconds

would that help to not run into these timeouts? 

Also in fat client in the statistics search, i was able to find executions e.g. from the end-of-year of these kind. I was thinking this should work with "time-frame" and "include deactivated tasks" now, is that correct? Also here i have issues with timeout, nothing displayed if that is a longer query. Would there also be a hidden timeout setting to overcome this?

Best Regards,
    Roman Embacher

• 18.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jun 17, 2019 05:02 AM
    Hi All,

we have some statistic queries that take quite long. E.g. script executed 1000s of times. Calling the statistics / executions may run into timeout. 

In this thread i saw the following undocumented parameter:

automationEngineTimeoutMilliseconds

would that help to not run into these timeouts? 

Also in fat client in the statistics search, i was able to find executions e.g. from the end-of-year of these kind. I was thinking this should work with "time-frame" and "include deactivated tasks" now, is that correct? Also here i have issues with timeout, nothing displayed if that is a longer query. Would there also be a hidden timeout setting to overcome this?

Best Regards,
    Roman Embacher

• 19.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jul 31, 2019 09:08 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Aug 05, 2019 04:34 AM
    I updated the table with properties introduced in v12.3:
    • sso.saml.enabled
    • sso.kdc.enabled
    • sso.retry.timeout
    I also updated the defaults of the help options to the 12.3 defaults.

• 20.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Nov 11, 2019 05:54 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 11, 2019 07:47 AM
    Is there a URL parameter to set the connection color? If so, what is its name and how does one specify the argument?

I’ve tried color, connectioncolor, and sessioncolor. None of these worked.

• 21.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Nov 12, 2019 04:07 AM
    @Michael A. Lowry, have you tried session.colors?

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AA/12.3/DOCU/12.3/Automic%20Automation%20Guides/help.htm#Installation_Manual/AWI/AWI_config_colors.properties.htm%3FTocPath%3DInstalling%7CManual%2520Installation%7CInstalling%2520the%2520Automation%2520Web%2520Interface%2520(AWI)%7CConfiguring%2520the%2520Automic%2520Web%2520Interface%7C_____4
     ​​

• 22.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Nov 13, 2019 04:24 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 13, 2019 04:24 AM
    That's just the name of the option in colors.properties. It doesn't work as a URL parameter.

• 23.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jul 09, 2020 05:39 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 09, 2020 06:58 AM
    I took a look at the the AE 12.3 documentation page for configuration.properties. I have a few observations:
    • The autofill.cookie.allowed property is now documented.
    • The allowWebSockets property is now partly documented, but the property name (allowWebSockets) is omitted, and no example is provided.
    • The properties listed under Connection Settings, Import of Large and Complex *.xml Files, and Network Settings are all related to networking and should probably be grouped together.
    • Under the helpUrl section, the following text appears: "Here is a sample of the configuration.properties file with all parameters defined". The example that follows seems out of place; it should probably be at the end of the page. It is also incomplete, listing only five properties instead of all of them.
    Ping @Legacy User

• 24.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Aug 26, 2020 04:12 AM
    Ping @Elina McCafferty

• 25.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 26, 2020 05:08 AM
    Thank you, @Michael A. Lowry! I've assigned a writer to look into it, and she will respond here.​

• 26.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jul 09, 2020 10:16 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 09, 2020 10:19 AM
    The push.websocket.path property appears to have been added in a recent service pack. It is not documented.

• 27.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Aug 18, 2020 03:47 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Aug 18, 2020 03:47 AM
    It appears that the allowWebsockets option replaced the push option.

• 28.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 26, 2020 10:07 AM
    Thank you very much for your input, @Michael A. Lowry! I've gathered all issues and will ​correct/enhance the documentation accordingly.

------------------------------
    Documentation Engineer
    Broadcom

• 29.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jan 30, 2024 06:57 AM

is there v21 updated info for this Michael ?

Olgun Onur Ozmen
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/olgunonurozmen/

• 30.  RE: AWI configuration settings

Posted Jan 31, 2024 09:39 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jan 31, 2024 09:39 AM

Hi @Olgun Onur Ozmen. Have you seen my discussion from last winter, Configure AWI via environment variables?

We don't use AWI configuration files anymore, at least for things that can be configured via environment variables.