Service Virtualization

• 1.  DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer

Posted Mar 09, 2018 12:11 AM

Hi ,

Can somebody share me the steps/doc how to configure the DevTest Registry behind the load balancer , we are in the need to configure devtest registry behind the load balancer and connect the workstation via load balancer to registry. 

We are using DevTest 10.2 and AWS ELB.

I have seen below idea in the community kurva01  already done the setup.

Lisa behind load balancer 

Thanks,

Balamurugan.

• 2.  Re: DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer

Posted Mar 12, 2018 11:31 AM

You currently cannot connect a component to the registry via a load balancer - this will fail due to the way that the connections are implemented.

For more information on the reasons that this will not work, please see Tech Tips: DevTest Environmental Restrictions - anything that alters network end-point information mid-flight will prevent successful connection.

• 3.  Re: DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer

Posted Mar 13, 2018 08:29 AM

+1 to what wooda20 says. 

You can connect Registry and VSE to their respective IP addresses and use a Load Balancer as a technique to route consumer application requests to virtual service endpoints running in VSE.  As Dave points out, all DevTest interprocess communication, management, service deployment, Workstation connections, etc. should not use the load balancer exposed IP.  This will cause issues.

• 4.  Re: DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer

Posted Mar 14, 2018 02:39 AM

Thanks wooda20 and J_NeSmith for your comments. 

We are in the process of migrating DevTest from VM environment to AWS Cloud infrastructure , due to some vulnerability patches applied by the central could team, there has been frequent AWS instance IP changes. Due to this activity we are unable to use the static Registry and Virtual Endpoint address for connecting to the server.

We were trying to resolve this issue by using the AWS ELB concept, however we understand that DevTest behind load balancer may not be supported due to architecture constraints.

But we are seriously looking for the best solution on this case, as we must be moving to cloud and need to align with our organization standards. Please advise.

Thanks,

Balamurugan.

• 5.  Re: DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer

Posted Mar 14, 2018 08:21 AM

It seems that you are trying to solve a symptom not the root cause.

Is the team unable to implement DNS to control the mapping? DNS can map FQDN to shortname and IP addresses.  Wouldn't this solve your issue?

• 6.  Re: DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer

Posted Mar 15, 2018 01:11 AM

The process of DNS mapping would takes 8-10 days as it involves network team intervention.

may i know is there any other feasible solution?

Thanks,

Balamurugan.

• 7.  Re: DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 15, 2018 06:18 AM

If the name mapping  and/or IP addresses are not consistent throughout then expect the system to fail - there is no shortcut. 

Also note that the communication paths require a "call back" - when a component (including Workstation) contacts the registry it sends information regarding its location (hostname/port). The registry will establish a return path using this information, so any intervening network infrastructure will need to support BOTH incoming and outgoing connections 

It seems to me that this is effectively a problem of service discovery - you may wish to consider using something like consul (Consul by HashiCorp) or etcd (Using etcd) to solve this.

• 8.  Re: DevTest Registry behind Load Balancer

Posted Mar 15, 2018 09:28 AM

Thanks wooda20. I will explore more on your recommendation. 

Thanks,

Balamurugan.