Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

One Automation Java UI startup script

• 1.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Aug 09, 2016 05:16 AM
      |   view attached
    Back in December of 2013, I documented my technique for setting up different GUI setups for different UC4 systems/environments. Later, in May of this year, I described a more recent revision to this approach, based on using a BAT script to launch multiple User Interface configurations. Here is the most recent update to my setup.

Updates

• The Windows batch script has been replaced by a PowerShell script.
    • There is now one UCDJ binary directory per UCDJ version, instead of one per Automation Engine system.
    • The startup script now copies configuration and help stub files to a subdirectory of the user’s home directory, if not already there.
    • Log and trace files are now also written to sub-directories of the user’s home directory.
    • The JRE version can now be specified as an argument to the startup script.
    53ckt2139d6e.png
    UC4 User Interface — multiple configurations

Instructions

This folder contains a set of scripts and files to aid running the Automic ONE Automation Java User Interface (UCDJ) with multiple different configurations. It facilitates running:
    •  Different versions of UCDJ
    •  Under different JREs
    •  With different initial environment variables
    •  With different XML configuration files (uc4config.xml and login_dat.xml)
    •  Against different Automation Engine systems (development, test, production)
    •  With a color-coded environment-specific application icon that matches the color hard-coded in the uc4config.xml file
    Several pieces must be put in place before this set-up will work:
    1. Place the contents of this folder in the directory
      "C:\UC4\UC4 User Interface".
      The shortcuts will not work unless everything is put into this exact location.
    2. Download and extract the ONE Automation Java User Interface fromdownloads.automic.com. Place the files in a sub-directory under UCDJ in this directory. The name of the sub-directory should be based on the version of the UI. E.g., if you use version 11.2.2, place the files in UCDJ\v11.2.2\bin.
    3. Download theJava Runtime Environment(JRE) you wish to use, or more than one if you like. Place the binaries under the Java folder, in a sub-directory named based on the JRE version. E.g, jre1.8.0_102.
    4. For each Automation Engine system to which you wish to connect, create a copy of the ucdj.jar file, with the system abbreviation in the name. E.g., if have three systems named DEV, TEST, and PROD, create three copies of the ucdj.jar file: ucdj-DEV.jar, ucdj-TEST.jar, and ucdj-PROD.jar.
    5. Optionally, if you wish to color-code the application icons, replace the application icon uc432.png located in com\UC4\ucdf\images inside each ucdj-***.jar file. You can choose one of the icons from the icons sub-directory or use your own icon. It should be a 32x32 pixel PNG file. To replace the icon in the JAR file, rename the .jar file to .zip, open the ZIP file in WinZIP, replace the pertinent icon file, save the ZIP, and then rename it back to .jar.
    6. For each Automation Enigine system you have created, create a pair of XML configuration files in the config sub-directory. E.g., for the AE system named DEV, create uc4config-DEV.xml and login_dat-DEV.xml. Modify the connection information in each uc4config-***.xml file so that it contains only the host name and CP socket details for that particular AE system. If desired, modify the color definitions too.
    7. Configure the properties of the shortcuts (or create new ones), so that the UC4.vbs script is called with three arguments:
      • The name or abbreviation of the AE system
      • The version number (folder name under UDCJ where the UI binaries reside)
      • The JRE version (folder name under Java where the JRE binaries reside)
      E.g., to run the v11.2.2 UI with the config files for the DEV system, and with JRE version 1.8.0_102, change the target of the shortcut to:
      "C:\UC4\UC4 User Interface\UC4.vbs" DEV 11.2.2 jre1.8.0_102
    At Swiss Re, we have shortcuts to run the User Interface with a different color-coding for each of our five different Automation Engine systems:
    • Orange: EXP2
    • Yellow: EXP
    • Blue: DEV
    • Green: ITE (TEST)
    • Red: PROD
    The color coding scheme of the application and shortcut icons matches the UI color coding enforced in the corresponding uc4config.xml file. This makes it easy to tell at a glance which system one is working with.

The UC4.vbs script is simply a wrapper that runs the UC4.ps1 script. The only reason the VBS script is there at all is to prevent a command window from appearing. The UC4.ps1 script copies config and help files to a sub-directory of the user's home directory, and then starts the requested UI in the requested JRE and with the requested configuration. At the top of the PowerShell script, you can set the default JRE version, if desired.

I have attached a ZIP file containing a skeleton of this directory. You must provide the UCDJ & JRE binaries.

Directory listing

• UC4 EXP.lnk
    • UC4 EXP2.lnk
    • UC4 DEV.lnk
    • UC4 ITE.lnk
    • UC4 PROD.lnk
    • uc4.vbs
    • uc4.ps1
    • UC4 User Interface instructions.txt
    • config
      • uc4config-PROD.xml
      • uc4config-ITE.xml
      • uc4config-EXP2.xml
      • uc4config-EXP.xml
      • uc4config-DEV.xml
      • login_dat-PROD.xml
      • login_dat-ITE.xml
      • login_dat-EXP2.xml
      • login_dat-EXP.xml
      • login_dat-DEV.xml
    • icons
      • uc432-blue.png
      • uc432-green.png
      • uc432-orange.png
      • uc432-red.png
      • uc432-yellow.png
      • UCDJ-blue.ico
      • UCDJ-green.ico
      • UCDJ-orange.ico
      • UCDJ-red.ico
      • UCDJ-yellow.ico
    • Java
      • jre1.8.0_66
      • jre1.8.0_73
      • jre1.8.0_91
      • jre1.8.0_92
      • jre1.8.0_102
    • UCDJ
      • v9
        • bin
        • docu
      • v10
        • bin
        • docu
      • v11.1
        • bin
        • docu
      • v11.2.1
        • bin
        • docu
      • v11.2.2
        • bin
        • docu
      • v12
        • bin
        • docu
    You can create additional sub-directories under Java and UCDJ as necessary, when you want to use different versions of Java or the User Interface. You can create as many shortcuts as you need, and easily switch between versions and AE systems by changing the arguments passed to the startup script.

Attachment(s)

• 2.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Aug 15, 2016 04:35 AM
    A few small updates:
    • added auc4msg.htm/messages.htmfile for each version. These files redirect to the corresponding messages documentation page at docs.automic.com when one hits F1 while a message box is in the foreground.
    • added stub HTML files for v9, v10, and v11.1.
    • updated TXT instructions & added RTF version of instructions.

• 3.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Oct 26, 2016 04:39 AM
    I’ve updated the UC4.ps1 PowerShell script to write all output to a separate log file. This log includes standard output and standard error from the UCDJ Java program, and Kerberos debugging is enabled by default in the Java options. I implemented this change to make it easier to troubleshoot problems with single sign-on.

• 4.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Sep 07, 2017 04:11 AM

Michael A. Lowry

I cannot download the zip containing the User Interface icons with a different color-coding due to restriction in our Network,
    Could you attach them here?

• 5.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Sep 07, 2017 05:16 AM
    Keld_Mollnitz: I believe it is attached to the original message.

• 6.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Sep 07, 2017 05:26 AM

• 7.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Sep 07, 2017 05:59 AM
    I suggest downloading it to another PC and sending it to yourself in a format that works.  :)

• 8.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Sep 14, 2017 06:03 AM
    Hi

Michael A. Lowry

How do you change the Task bar icon ? I have changed the icon for the UserInterface but once it starts, the task bar icon is the standard one...

• 9.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Sep 14, 2017 06:57 AM

• 10.  One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Sep 14, 2017 09:45 AM
      |   view attached
    I’m attaching an updated version. It includes better error handling and now works with PowerShell 5.1. It also prompts the user if any of the required inputs are missing.

Attachment(s)

• 11.  RE: One Automation Java UI startup script

Posted Aug 29, 2019 10:30 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Aug 30, 2019 04:08 AM
      |   view attached
    Here's another update to the UC4.ps1 startup script. This version fixes the U04002691 error when downloading logs. In order to fix this problem, I had to change the location used to store config files, logs, and temporary files from %MyDocuments% to %AppData%.  Because the AppData directory is hidden by default, I also updated the script so that it creates a shortcut to this directory in the user’s Documents folder. The shortcut is called UCDJ Data.

Remember that this package contains only the skeleton including icons & the startup script. You will need to provide:
     You must also provide the uc4config.xml & login_dat.xml files configured for your AE systems.

Attachment(s)

zip
    UC4.zip   3 KB 1 version