Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

How can I load data from prod to dev

• 1.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 16, 2016 07:34 PM
    Hi All,

I need to copy the data in my production environment to my development environment. How can I do that? I am using v10 on Oracle 11g.

Thanks

• 2.  How can I load data from prod to dev
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 16, 2016 08:13 PM

You can use the V10 utilities Unload (from PROD) and Load (to DEV).
    You have first to select targeted objects and put them on Transport Case before unloading.

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/AE DB Unload

• 3.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 16, 2016 08:16 PM
    You can mass-copy your AE objects using TransportCase.  The DB Unload utility and the DB Load utility have nice user interfaces for doing so.   Be really careful though because you might transport too much and change your client and/or security settings for the target client.

• 4.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 17, 2016 08:13 AM
    Thanks for your valuable replies :)
    I need to copy the whole data in production (this a test for possible in-house migration). I guess it will be done in 2 steps:
    1- Copy prod data to dev
    2- Upgrade dev to v11.2

For the first step, can I use Unload (export all tables) and then Load?
    Thanks,

• 5.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 17, 2016 09:06 AM
    Hi Hesham,

This sounds like a bigger project than just exporting the objects. Maybe using Client Copy would be relevant in your case, as it would allow you to copy the whole content of a client from one DB to the other.

Best regards,
    Antoine

• 6.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 17, 2016 12:54 PM
    One major consideration is would you need just the objects or the historical data as well? If you just need the objects, using the "unload all objects" from the unload will be a much smaller and granular activity - the largest tables, normally, will be your statistics (A*) and reports (R*) and if those are not necessary I'd recommend not moving them. 

• 7.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 19, 2016 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the very useful info :)
    Darren_Sniezak_40
    Antoine_Sauteron
    petwir
    CarlosCardano604892
    I exported all tables except A* and R* tables (with DB Load) but when I unloaded the exported data (with DB Unload) I got the message U0000002 EXISTS. I searched for U0000002 in the docu but no success. What could be the problem?

Thanks

• 8.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 21, 2016 03:41 AM
    At Swiss Re, we have devoted thousands of man-hours to developing a solution to manage promotion of AE objects from one environment to another. I gave a talk about this topic, and demonstration of our solution, last year at Automic World in Düsseldorf.

Our original solution was based on the transport case, but recently we have switched to an approach based on the XML file format. Each approach has advantages an disadvantages. In an earlier discussion, I posted a table of the pros and cons of each approach. Here is an updated version of this table.

DB Unload/Load

XML Export/Import

Advantages

• Faster, because it goes straight to the database.
    • Does not put an additional load on the Automation Engine
    • Recommended by Automic for making mass changes.
    • No maximum file size.
    • Simultaneous exports.
    • Easy to specify new target folder.
    • Fully documented, human-readable XML schema makes many things possible:
      • Change any object attribute.
      • Validate objects’ compliance with standards & conventions.
      • Present a side-by-side comparison of original & changed XML prior to deployment.
    • Easier to integrate with enterprise applications using Java APIs (e.g.,ExportObject&ImportObject).
    • Going through the AE might be safer.
    • No reliance onucybchng.
    • Although XML files from newer AE systems are not guaranteed to load without problems into older AE systems, it is at least possible.

Disadvantages

• No simultaneous unloads.
    • Transport case file format is undocumented.
    • Not all object attributes can be changed.
    • Loading objects into a different target folder is not straightforward.
    • ucybchngisnot always reliable.
    • Bypassing the AE might be less safe.
    • The transport case file format is not backward-compatible. That is, it is impossible to load a newer transport case file into an older AE system. This makes it impractical to upgrade systems in a staged manner.
    • Slower, because it goes through the AE server.
    • Puts a higher load on the AE (DWPs).
    • No vendor-supported XML change program.
    • Maximum file size for imports: 30 MB.
    • Not recommendedby Automic for making mass changes.
    We opted to switch to an XML-based approach because we felt that the advantages outweighed the disadvantages.

• 9.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 21, 2016 03:43 AM
    Dear Hesham,
    There are several possible causes as this message is not very self-explanatory. Usually this occurs because the same data is being exported / imported twice.
    Could you share more details on this error message ? Maybe opening an incident ticket would be the best way to proceed with this.

• 10.  How can I load data from prod to dev

Posted Nov 22, 2016 02:20 AM
    Antoine_SauteronThanks for the feedback. I will open incident ticket today.
    Michael_Lowry Thanks for sharing your efforts. I think it is worth a serious trial.