Service Virtualization

• 1.  How to Handle Larger VSI in DevTest 10.x

Posted Mar 19, 2018 06:10 PM

Hi ,

In my project currently we have VSI files with maximum size of 25 MB. Sooner it is going be bigger and need to add more stubbing. What is the best practice to handle bigger VSI file.

Please let me know if I need to Support ticket for this. We need to have resolution for this issue.

deoma03 Ashutosh.Satyam Could you please help me on this issue?

Regards,

Dinesh

• 2.  Re: How to Handle Larger VSI in DevTest 10.x

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 21, 2018 12:04 PM

There is no specific size limit for VSI.  VSE need to have sufficient memory.

• 3.  Re: How to Handle Larger VSI in DevTest 10.x
    Best Answer

Posted May 22, 2018 09:32 AM

Agreed on memory.  And, you may also need to increase JVM memory in Workstation to edit the VSI.

We do not know the exact characteristics of the service, so it is difficult to provide specific guidance; however, you might consider the following:

Incoming Request and Response payload sizes can cause VSIs to become rather large.  I have seen VSIs in the 2GB range. They are difficult to edit, and I usually look for some type of alternative strategy.  

I caution against developing service images that contain high numbers of specific responses as this can create situations where your service begins to 'boil the ocean' in terms of response scenarios. To use an analogy, your service is a forest and a specific response is a tree within the forest. When you add a high number of responses, it becomes more difficult to debug why the incoming request did not find the 'tree' you were looking for.

I also consider the makeup of the operations within a virtual service image. Think of it similar to the way a data modeler models a database table. A DBA would not mix operations related to products with operations related to customer data. Similarly, modeling a VSI based upon a strategy that considers ways to separate VSIs using the URIs Base Path can help you separate a single large service image into smaller, more manageable images. This is possible because multiple VSMs can listen on the same port and the Base Path provides the tie breaker that sends the request to the appropriate service.