Service Virtualization

• 1.  How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Posted Dec 08, 2017 07:35 AM

For a single test case I added 2 to 3 assertions. I have many test cases like these. But I am not able to run these test cases from a test suite (i saw the steps from "Run a Test Suite - DevTest Solutions - 9.5 - CA Technologies Documentation "). But my test cases are not running. Please help me with this. Please find the attached screen shots to see my test case.Please help me suppose if i have to run 6 test cases(as per the screen shot) from folders "retrieveProfileInfo_basic3_BW" and "retrieveProfileInfo_basic4_BW". I am getting some error and it does not have correct information. The question is I still dont know this is the correct way to run all my test cases. If not how to run all test cases?Will assertions inside test case be run?

Attachment(s)

doc
    ca dev test test suite.doc   694 KB 1 version
    zip
    TestSuite.ste.zip   1 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2017 09:20 AM

Can you post your Suite document and Staging Document?

• 3.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Posted Dec 12, 2017 02:17 AM

Actually that was a sample suit which i created to test how to run many test cases. Any ways I have attached the suite. But the main theme is I want to know how to run many test cases. Plz let me know this, I mean the steps to do to run. Thanks in advance

• 4.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 12, 2017 06:37 AM

Please create a suite with all the services into it and right click on the suite and select the option "Deploy as monitor to CVS". Now you can go to the CVS console and monitor the execution status of all the test cases that are included in the suite. You can even download a report from this portal in PDF format.

CVS - Continuous Validation Service. 

• 5.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Posted Dec 13, 2017 03:18 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks, I ran a test suite which has 3 test cases(ran locally) . I thought my assertions in each test case got passed. So again I tried out in another way. I manually made an assertion in one of the test case to be "false"(by giving some wrong value). This time when I ran the suite again (ran locally) and got the sam result which is "PASS" for 3 test cases. I dont know what happened here. Even my assertion is false , how the test case got passed.?Whats the point of automating this? If the API doesnt give response , will my test case pass too?

Is there a place where I can see the results for each assertion whether it got passed or failed because I can see only the result for entire test case.Please see screen shots attached.

• 6.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Posted Dec 13, 2017 08:14 AM

When u add an assertion you select an option what if the Assertion is False/True. You can select following options.

1. Abort The Test - Whole test case will be failed

2. End The Test - Almost same as above

3. Fail the Test - Almost same as above

2. Generate Error - This will only generates an error and proceeds with next assertions or the step

4. Generate Warning - This will generate a warning and proceeds with next assertions or the step

I think you might have selected Generate Error option so the test case would have not failed and have executed other test cases.

• 7.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Posted Dec 13, 2017 10:10 AM
      |   view attached

see,

case 1: I gave like assertion is "true" then end the test. In this case my assertion got succeeded (because i gave correct value in "expected value" field) and all my test cases got passed.

case 2: I gave like assertion is "true" then end the test.In this case my assertion got failed (because I gave a wrong value in "expected value" field). This time also all my 3 test cases got passed.

Note: assertion is in my 1st test case

If the service which I m testing is not working then case2 will happen, correct?.So in that case how will I know if my test case get passed?

My question is : I am expecting a value "x" in one field which I made it as expected value. So if my service has no issues then "x" will be obtained in the response and then it will match exactly with my expected value. What if when my service is down? I wont get "x" in my response. Then my assertion will become false. But how do I know that if my test case gets passed?

And I m not sure all my assertions are executed if I have multiple assertions in my test case. 

see screen shot attached

Attachment(s)

doc
    Cases..doc   353 KB 1 version

• 8.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Posted Dec 19, 2017 04:57 AM

Thanks for sharing the screen shot. In Case2 your Test Case is not failing because you have given as if "True" fail the test. So the assertion result is false because u have given 'trueeeeeeeeeeee' instead of 'true', so the test case is not getting ended because you are telling to fail only if the assertion result is 'true' and in this case assertion result is false.

We can discuss over a call if you still find difficulties.

• 9.  Re: How to run many testcases in ca devtest 10.0 and how to see the results

Posted Jul 12, 2018 04:05 AM

Hi Avinash, 

I created a test suite with 5 test cases and selected the option "Deploy as monitor to CVS". One dialog box appeared where I entered suite name, notify email, start time, stop time etc. I clicked on Deploy button .Then opened CVS. But I see only blank page.Where can I see the results. Is there anywhere a report is generated to see how many test cases passed and how many failed?