DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  IntroscopeEPA.properties use of Environment Variables 10.5.2

Posted Sep 18, 2017 10:55 AM

We are installing 10.5.2 and currently working on the epagent.   In version 10.0, we had a very long discussion on how to defer the "introscope.agent.enterprisemanager.transport.tcp.host.DEFAULT" with an environment variable.  

IntroscopeEPA.properties use of Environment Variables 

Now in version 10.5.2 sp1, this has changed

agentManager.url.1=localhost:5001

How do I control the enterprise manager the agent connects to with an environment variable?

In 10.0, with the EPACtrl.sh I had

#Determine which MOM to use
          if [ -f "/syshome/wilyapm/config/caapm.conf" ]; then

#caapm.conf contains [PROD | NON-PROD | TEST]

#load environment value
          . /syshome/wilyapm/config/caapm.conf;

if [ -z "$CAAPM_ENV" ]; then
          echo "{ERROR][EPACtrl.sh] CAAPM_MOM NOT set! Please configure the appropriate MOM in       /syshome/wilyapm/config/wilymom.conf"
          exit 1;
          fi

case "$CAAPM_ENV" in
          "PROD") CAAPM_MOM="<prod mom>"
          ;;
          "NON-PROD") CAAPM_MOM="<nonprod mom>"
          ;;
          "TEST") CAAPM_MOM="<test mom>"
          ;;
          *) # default - if value is unknown
          echo "[ERROR][EPACtrl.sh] CAAPM_ENV = $CAAPM_ENV. Value is unknown. Check the EPACtrl.sh file."
          exit 1
          ;;
          esac
          echo "[INFO][EPACtrl.sh] CAAPM_ENV = $CAAPM_ENV. CAAPM_MOM = $CAAPM_MOM";
          fi

# the command to start the EPAgent
          EpaCmd="java -Xms${MIN_HEAP_VAL_IN_MB}m -Xmx${MAX_HEAP_VAL_IN_MB}m -Dintroscope.agent.enterprisemanager.transport.tcp.host.DEFAULT=$CAAPM_MOM -cp lib/EPAgent.jar:lib/IntroscopeServices.jar:lib/Agent.jar:epaplugins/epaMQMonitor/epaMQMonitor.jar:epaplugins/epaMQMonitor:epaplugins/epaMQMonitor/lib/com.ibm.mq.pcf.jar:epaplugins/epaMQMonitor/lib/com.ibm.mq.jar:epaplugins/epaMQMonitor/lib/connector.jar:epaplugins/epaMQMonitor/lib/com.ibm.mqjms.jar $agentconfig com.wily.introscope.api.IntroscopeEPAgent"
          #echo $EpaCmd

So with the change in the configuration in 10.5.2 to the "agentManager.url.1=localhost:5001" what do I need to change?

• 2.  Re: IntroscopeEPA.properties use of Environment Variables 10.5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2017 11:02 AM

Dear APM Administrators/Partners:

Can you please share your recommendations on what you think Billy should do in this situation? 

Thanks 

CA Staff; Please respond if no suggestion are provided after waiting a reasonable period of time.

Thank you all

Hal German

• 3.  Re: IntroscopeEPA.properties use of Environment Variables 10.5.2
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 18, 2017 02:16 PM

The documentation eludes to using a system property

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/implementing-agents/ep-agent/configure-epagent-to-enterprise-manager-connections

"Use the following system properties to supply the URL of the Enterprise Manager, Collector, or MOM to which the agent should connect"

So while I wait for mount point, user creation and access to the test servers, I'm guessing that I need to change the Java command line to be:

EpaCmd="java -Xms${MIN_HEAP_VAL_IN_MB}m -Xmx${MAX_HEAP_VAL_IN_MB}m -DagentManager.url.1=$CAAPM_MOM -cp lib/EPAgent.jar $agentconfig com.wily.introscope.api.IntroscopeEPAgent"

The only JAR within the lib directory is the EPAgent.jar and so all the other included JAR files are not needed.

Looks like the agent config parameter did not change [com.wily.introscope.epagent.properties] since it is present within the <agent>/conf/EPAService.conf as

wrapper.java.additional.1=-Dcom.wily.introscope.epagent.properties="../IntroscopeEPAgent.properties"

So how close am I?

Hopefully I can get this tested this week so I can move on to the other 10.5.2.24 agents.

• 4.  Re: IntroscopeEPA.properties use of Environment Variables 10.5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2017 02:42 PM

Hi bwcole,

Analyzing this informations, I think that you need put :
    EpaCmd="java -Xms${MIN_HEAP_VAL_IN_MB}m -Xmx${MAX_HEAP_VAL_IN_MB}m -DagentManager.url.1=$CAAPM_MOM:5001 -cp lib/EPAgent.jar $agentconfig com.wily.introscope.api.IntroscopeEPAgent"

Now, In agents 10.X the port composes this information.

Please, let me know If helped you.

Regards,

Vinícius

• 5.  Re: IntroscopeEPA.properties use of Environment Variables 10.5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2017 10:35 AM

Dear Billy:

Have not heard back anything further from you on this. So marking as answered since with Vinicius or your own answer, you seem close. However, this thread can continue as needed with your status, and follow-up questions

Thanks

Hal German