Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Mar 18, 2014 01:07 PM

All,  I want to have an automated phone tree for really really bad job failures.

has anyone used any of the tools in the market to implement this?

• 2.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Mar 18, 2014 06:21 PM

Not yet.

We have only discussed it here.  My telcom staff tell me their vendor supplies an api for this, but it costs more than we are willing to pay right now.  However if we are to ever go lights out then sending a phone call would become an absolute necessity since you can not count on a text or an email waking someone up the way a phone call does.

It would be cool if someone has already figured out a low-cost solution?

Say, I just did some checking on the internet and discovered there are service providers likehttp://www.email2phone.net/andhttps://zetabee.com/e2v/that will convert emails to voice.  I wonder if this approach might be cost effective?

• 3.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Mar 20, 2014 02:37 PM
    We use "If This Then That"  ( ifttt.com ) to call people if a job ends in the middle of the night.  It's basic but it works.  There is also pagerduty.com which will not only handle notifications but also do escalations, etc.  I have asked our reps about this functionality from within Automic.  Unsurprisingly it's a very common question.

• 4.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Mar 20, 2014 05:36 PM

Maybe I'm over/under-thinking the requirement, but we use the Notification object to send out messages and escalate for failed processes.   The first level, for example, sends an email message and has its Runtime tab use the MRT to execute another Notification object that sends the second level message if it is not acknowledge within the allotted time.  The second level Notification also has its Runtime tab with an MRT and time to execute a third level Notification object and on and on as necessary.

Each notification has an ever increasing list of people receiving the email notification.  The email list that each notification sends to includes an address that is associated with a pager.  I'm not certain what product is genuinely used under the covers to send the page as it is, from my view, just a "special" Outlook user named EPAGE.

While it's true that we do not send a voice message as Willy desired, what we are currently doing is, for us, more than sufficient for mission critical and high priority tasks.  About the only issue is that somebody along the notification chain has to acknowledge the currently active Notification object to stop the subsequent escalations.

We also have BMC's Patrol and HP's AlarmPoint as our basic generic default notification software.  However we use UC4 for the application specific notification as described above for those that require multiple escalations and acknowledgements. 

• 5.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Oct 13, 2014 07:58 PM
    I ended up using Pagerduty.com  

• 6.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Oct 14, 2014 01:36 PM
    Hi Willy,

We missed you at Innovate this year.  We were using AlarmPoint, but we have recently switched to xMatters.

• 7.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Oct 14, 2014 05:56 PM
    Pagerduty.com looks pretty cool and they have a REST api...

Maybe we should build some Web Service Templates around this.

• 8.  Tool to convert Call Operator / email to Voice Calls?

Posted Oct 20, 2014 02:14 PM
    We are currently using Mir3

http://www.mir3.com/