Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  V9 runid uniqueness

Posted Apr 25, 2014 07:31 PM

I have one UC4 running 6 clients.  They are directing reports to a generic folder where runid is used for report uniqueness.  So will the multiple clients provide unique RUNID's, or can two clients use the same RUNID?

We will probably add client# to either the report name or the folder name, but thought is was an interesting question!

Pete

• 2.  V9 runid uniqueness

Posted Apr 28, 2014 04:17 AM

As far as I know, it is unique within the entire database.

But it need not be unique throughout the entire lifetime of the system. If the ID is no longer present in the database, it can be reused.

If the number space is exhausted, there will be an overflow and the ID starts all over again.

I wonder if that's ever happened at someone. :)

• 3.  V9 runid uniqueness

Posted Apr 28, 2014 10:17 AM

You are 100% correct Guenter! RunIDs are not based upon the client but the database. 

When I first started working at Automic (7 years ago), I had heard this had happened to a long-time customer who ran an unusually large amount of jobs.  However, I can't remember if this was based in Applications Manager or the Automation Engine framework.

• 4.  V9 runid uniqueness

Posted Apr 30, 2014 05:11 PM

You could also add a date stamp to the filename - that way it would always be unique ...

• 5.  V9 runid uniqueness

Posted May 20, 2014 10:28 AM

FYI, RunIDs are actually handed out in batches to the WPs.  So each WP gets a batch of 1000 and whenever a new one is needed, its picked off the top of the current batch.  This guarantees uniqueness while allowing the WPs to operate independently and not make a ton of database calls prior to every activation.

What it doesn't guarantee is that the runIDs are in sequence, so don't count on a larger runID meaning it was run later.