Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 16, 2014 12:05 PM

Hi folks,

since the migrating to V9 we see not reproducible display errors and other problems of the UserInterface in irregular intervals. I wonder if you are also struggling with some these and how you encounter them. The problems are not critical, but annoying. The worst is that they affect the perceived quality of the system among our users. 

Here are a few of the problems: 

- The user interface crashes right after the login. The error messages (below) are often seen only briefly. After the Crash gavaw.exe always remains as an active process. To logon, you have to stop javaw.exe and try it again. Often it works only after several repetitions.

o6qzjdg6gu8x.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/mo/o6qzjdg6gu8x.png" width="472">

- Within one working day the GUI is getting slower and the RAM usage of javaw.exe bigger.

- Monitors close by themselves a few seconds after they have been opened.

- Open windows are not displayed in the Window menu, but you can see on the screen.

- Open windows are not displayed at all. You know that they are open because a save dialog appears at the shutdown of the GUI. With luck, you will not know whether you can save the changes.

I use UserInterface Version 9 build 402-991 and Java 1.7.0_25.

• 2.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 16, 2014 01:06 PM

-Within one working day the GUI is getting slower and the RAM usage of javaw.exe bigger.

Are you working with any RA jobs? There was a memory leak at one time when working with RA jobs.

- Monitors close by themselves a few seconds after they have been opened.

Not sure if that is the case here, but if the Monitor is open on an Active Workflow and the WF finishes, it should be closing the window. 

- Open windows are not displayed in the Window menu, but you can see on the screen.

I've experienced the behavior in v10. If you're able to reproduce the behavior fairly consistently, I suggest opening a Support ticket. I have a feeling it's something to do with Java, but I can't be sure.

Open windows are not displayed at all. You know that they are open because a save dialog appears at the shutdown of the GUI. With luck, you will not know whether you can save the changes.

It could be the window is outside the view of the desktop. Try Menubar > Window > Cascade and see if the windows reappear. It's happened to me when I change monitors. I 'lose' my windows.

Hope some of this helps.

• 3.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 17, 2014 03:57 AM

Hi Jennifer, thanks for the reply. 

@ RAM usage: I am not working with RA jobs

@ Monitors: They were monitors of long-running workflows

@ windows that close: Unfortunately I can not reproduce any of these problems. That’s the tricky part. Nevertheless, I already opened a ticket with screen videos of the errors. 

@ hidden windows: I know the situation you described pretty well but only with the whole UserInterface application. What I meant were windows/dialogs within the UserInterface (Job-, Workflow-, Script-Objects) Can they also be outside the view of the desktop?

My gut tells me that all of these problems have something to do with java. And maybe all of them have the same cause.

• 4.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 17, 2014 03:58 AM

Hi Guenter,

We are experiencing exact same problems with the UserInterface as you describe here and we are using version 9 build 407-991.

I have tried different versions of Java but the results remain the same.

I have an open support case for this issue since 21-05-2014. I will keep you updated...

• 5.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 17, 2014 04:15 AM

Good to hear we are not the only one ;-). I've also opened tickets to all of the problems last Wednesday, but got no reply till now. Not even a ticket number. Guess I have to wake ’em up soon ... 

Edit 25.06: 

Automic never got the tickets into ServiceNow. It looks as if ServiceNow had problems processing emails with attached video files.

• 6.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 18, 2014 03:43 AM

You can try to set the value for <tcpip_keepalive> and/or<active_keepalive> in uc4config.xml

I use GUI 9.00A407-991 with Java 1.6.0_30 /64 and habe absolutely no problem in Win7/64

It could also be possible that the connection loss comes from a timeout of some network components in your company network.

• 7.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 18, 2014 03:58 AM

@Wolfgang: I already have <tcpip_keepalive>1</tcpip_keepalive> in my uc4config.xml (Does it make any difference where in the put this parameter?? I have it at the top of the file, should it be it the <connections> section ?? )

My uc4config.xml looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-15"?>
    <configuration>
      <paths>
        <docu type="hh">../docu</docu>
        <!--docu type="wh" libFilePath="" UNIXbrowser="" >../docu</docu-->
        <logging count="10">%TEMP%\UCDJ_%USERNAME%_LOG_##.TXT</logging>
        <trace count="10" xml="3" tcp="0">%TEMP%\UCDJ_%USERNAME%_TRC_##.TXT</trace>
     <tcpip_keepalive>1</tcpip_keepalive>
     <tcp_nodelay>1</tcp_nodelay>
     <SendBufferSize>1048576</SendBufferSize>
     <RecvBufferSize>1048576</RecvBufferSize>
      </paths>
      <colors>
        <color r="255" g="0" b="0"/>
        <color r="0" g="255" b="0"/>
        <color r="42" g="152" b="255"/>
        <color r="255" g="255" b="0"/>
        <color r="241" g="178" b="14"/>
        <color r="255" g="0" b="255"/>
        <color r="255" g="255" b="255"/>
        <color r="170" g="140" b="149"/>
      </colors>
      <timeout>60</timeout>
      <connections>
        <connection name="Prod" system="UC4P">
          <cp ip="cmd1cs0397" port="2217"/>
          <cp ip="cmd1cs0398" port="2218"/>
          <cp ip="cmd1cs0397" port="2219"/>
          <cp ip="cmd1cs0398" port="2220"/>
        </connection>
        <connection name="Demo" system="UC4D">
          <cp ip="cma1cs0373" port="2217"/>
          <cp ip="cma1cs0374" port="2218"/>
          <cp ip="cma1cs0373" port="2219"/>
          <cp ip="cma1cs0374" port="2220"/>
        </connection>
        <connection name="Test" system="UC4T">
          <cp ip="cma1ge0061" port="2217"/>
          <cp ip="cma1ge0062" port="2218"/>
          <cp ip="cma1ge0061" port="2219"/>
          <cp ip="cma1ge0062" port="2220"/>
        </connection>
      </connections>
    </configuration>

• 8.  UserInterface problems

Posted Jun 18, 2014 05:48 AM

The problem during the UI logon is maybe related to the nagle algorithm. It is possible to set tcp_nodelay to 0 in the uc4config.xml. Just give it a try. 

The memory leak will be fixed with SP9 (planned for beginning till mid of July). It is recommended to use 32-bit java for the UI, because it’s less memory consuming.

There is also a known bug with open windows in case of user desktops are opened within the UI. It will we fixed with SP9 too. 

I would recommend, go for SP9, if the problems still occur you should open a ticket.

• 9.  UserInterface problems

Posted Aug 25, 2014 06:26 AM

Setting tcp_nodelay to 0 was the solution to the user interface crashes right after the login. All other issues were fixed with V9 Build 407-991.

Thanks for the help!