Clarity

• 1.  Change in GEL script does not take effect

Posted Nov 06, 2017 03:56 PM

Hi all,

we have got a problem with changes in GEL scripts in already existing processes.

For example:

I create a process with GEL script. After first run, I find an error so I fix the script - update it in already existing process, revalidate and activate the process and runs it once again.

I expect that the updated version of script will run but instead of the new updated version the old one - with error - runs.

Restart of process engine helps (not pretty good solution) or using "Save As" on the process and running of the new process.

Could you please advise?

Thank you and Regards,

Martin

• 2.  Re: Change in GEL script does not take effect
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 06, 2017 04:30 PM

Hi Martin,

I remember this is not the case in older versions (Before 13.x) of CA PPM, but from 14.x i have seen this is the same behavior in all the versions from then. Restarting process engine is not a recommended process, even i have also faced similar problem during processes development and i use Save as all the time... and when i am done with the specific process development, i will delete the older process versions which are not required any more and create the base version/next version of the process just to manage process versioning.

Regards,

Santosh

• 3.  Re: Change in GEL script does not take effect

Posted Nov 06, 2017 05:21 PM

This seems very specific to your environment. Have you tried clearing the cache instead of restarting BG. What happens in that case?

• 4.  Re: Change in GEL script does not take effect

Posted Nov 06, 2017 07:17 PM

It has happened to me in the past, but in my case, one background server had the older version of the code, and the other background server had the later version of the code - very frustrating to work out what was going on and restarting the background servers didn't resolve.

It ended up being a multicasting issue which was resolved by CA as this was on a clouded environment.

I was able to show this was occurring by outputting the version number of the GEL script in the log files, so it was then very clear what version of the code was being run.  Please consider adding this to the output log files so you can see what is being run.

• 5.  Re: Change in GEL script does not take effect

Posted Nov 07, 2017 01:45 AM

That has been there a while. See

https://communities.ca.com/message/10044602?commentID=10044602#comment-10044602 

while other things in a process which has initiated instances cannot be changed.

I've experienced it also in 13.x with multiple app servers and brought that up in a question (which I cannot locate any more)

The answer at that time was that even if the system allows to change the script in a validated process that should not be done. You should always create a new version of the process where you have the modifications.