Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Best way to promote new policies to production environment 

Posted Dec 21, 2017 09:57 AM

Hello,

Le'ts say we have a CA API Gateway stays in DEV environment, policies are located in multiple folders. Now we need to find a way to automatically deploy new policies to our Production environment. What is the best way to do it? 

For example, under the DEV environment, we have

According to the document, we can export each policy and import it one by one. This way maybe too complicated, for example, if we need to promote random numbers of policies every day. It should have a better way, for example, export everything under a given folder and import it to the Production machine?

Regards,

Naichun

• 2.  Re: Best way to promote new policies to production environment 

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 11:34 AM

Hi Naichun

We have several ways of doing this, but the most widely talked about and used are:

Restman – Exposes the gateway as a restful endpoint

https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-gateway/9-2/en/apis-and-toolkits/rest-management-api

GMU – Gateway Migration Utility – Client side scripts to help interact with your already established service migration.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-gateway/9-2/en/gateway-migration

Regards

Derek

Derek Orr

ca technologies

Principal Consultant, CA API Management Presales

m: 778-980-0029

Email = Derek.Orr@ca.com<mailto:Derek.Orr@ca.com>

CA API Management Community: https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-api-management-community

• 3.  Re: Best way to promote new policies to production environment 

Posted Dec 21, 2017 11:58 AM

Thanks a lot, Derek,

Yes, I am more familiar with Restman, but not sure which API call I can use? For example, I want to export folder 'ProjectX' as an example listed above, from Server A and import it to server B.

Could you please provide me an example?

Regards,

Naichun

• 4.  Re: Best way to promote new policies to production environment 
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 06:51 PM

Dear Naichun,

GMU is exactly using the restman, as its name suggested, Gateway Migration Utility, it's more easier for you to migrate policies.

A problem of using restman is, the xml you export cannot be used directly for importing. You have to do some transform. The GMU will do that for you.

Regards,

Mark

• 5.  Re: Best way to promote new policies to production environment 

Posted Dec 21, 2017 10:37 PM

Thanks ! Yep, Just tried it out, Thanks Zhijun and Derek!

41 ./GMU.sh migrateOut -z properties/local_app.properties --folderName /OTK --defaultAction NewOrUpdate --dest 
    44 ./GMU.sh migrateIn -z properties/local_app.properties --bundle releases/folder_OTK.xml

Btw, I cannot find the URL to download the GatewayMigrationUtility-1.4.00-85.zip

How can I get the latest version?

Regards,

Naichun

• 6.  Re: Best way to promote new policies to production environment 

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 09, 2018 05:45 PM

The GMU needs to match your gateway version, you can find the GMU component on support.ca.com, (on Download Center, select your gateway version)