Rally Software

• 1.  Prepopulate a custom text field

Posted Dec 01, 2017 02:57 PM

Is there a straight forward way to prepopulate text in a Custom Text field? For ex. a new Text field is created in the Custom area of a Feature. By default there is some text present describing the purpose of the field. 

I appreciate any assistance on this. 

• 2.  Re: Prepopulate a custom text field
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 01, 2017 04:28 PM

Hey Alcantara, give Templates a try, they are available for RTF fields.  Looking in my own workspace, I have a custom field called 'Custom Text' and it's got the Templates option.  To auto-populate text, set a default template.

New Editable Detail Pages | CA Agile Central Help 

• 3.  Re: Prepopulate a custom text field

Posted Dec 01, 2017 04:35 PM

But is there a rich-text editor as an app?  I'm trying to add documentation to my dashboards.

• 4.  Re: Prepopulate a custom text field

Posted Dec 04, 2017 10:36 AM

Mitchell, that's a different question from the one in this thread but the way to add formatted text to a dashboard is with the Custom HTML app. You may have to do a bit of tweaking to get the HTML formatting right for your documentation and there's no WSIWYG editor but I usually just create my documentation in my online wiki platform and paste it into the app, which works 99% of the time with no formatting adjustments. Hope that helps.

• 5.  Re: Prepopulate a custom text field

Posted Dec 07, 2017 07:15 AM

Hey, look at that... perusing the CA Tech Services repositories on Github this morning I stumbled across a rich text app that solves this exact problem. I just tested it and it works great, just remember that these apps are "use at your own risk" and unsupported. CA Tech Services rocks!

With that said this one is simple and you can find it at GitHub - RallyTechServices/rich-text-app: Basic HTML app that has a rich text editor in the app settings for quickly cre… 

• 6.  Re: Prepopulate a custom text field

Posted Dec 01, 2017 05:11 PM

Thanks Edwin! 

Gave that a shot and seem to be having issue with it as a default. No auto populate... When generating a new feature, using a new template set to default doesn't apply it to the field. Manually it works like a charm if I go in an then hit apply.

Any ideas?