DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

• 1.  APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 04, 2017 06:45 PM

Is there a way to search investigator with RegEx that combines the AGENT with the RESOURCE and METRIC? So far I have been able to successfully search with RESOURCE and METRIC combination, but don't seem to be able to combine the AGENT too in the RegEx search string.

I want to run a search for -

SuperDomain|IL10p11111|WebSphere|IL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM7|Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB):Responses Per Interval
    SuperDomain|IL10p11111|WebSphere|IL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM8|Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB):Responses Per Interval
    SuperDomain|IL10p11111|WebSphere|IL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM9|Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB):Responses Per Interval

where,

Hostname = IL10p11111
    Process = WebSphere
    Agent = IL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM8
    Resource = Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB)
    Metric = Responses Per Interval

I have been able to search with -

Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\)\:Responses Per Interval

which gives me the metric across several hosts and JVMs. I want to make it further unique by adding the Agent so as to capture these JVMs.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

• 2.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 08:59 AM

If you're using the Java workstation client, you can use regular expressions in the search bar. APM uses PCRE underneath for many functions.

• 3.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 05, 2017 11:17 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

Thank you for your response. I have been able to use the RegEx search in the APM web client as well as the Java workstation. But, my question was different - about the ability to do a combined search for AGENT+RESOURCE+METRIC using RegEx.

-regards,

Mriganka

• 4.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 12:38 PM

Why are you having a problem with your query?  You should be able search the entire path.
    Can you post your query, if you haven't done so already?

• 5.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 05, 2017 01:07 PM

Haruhiko,

This is the query I am using -

(.*)IL10yyyyy038Cell02(.*)Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\)\:Responses Per Interval

And I expect these to be returned -

• SuperDomain|IL10p11111|WebSphere|IL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM7|Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB):Responses Per Interval
    • SuperDomain|IL10p11111|WebSphere|IL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM8|Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB):Responses Per Interval
    • SuperDomain|IL10p11111|WebSphere|IL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM9|Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB):Responses Per Interval

But, the query does not return any results.

Thank you.

• 6.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 02:00 PM

Have you tried escaping the spaces?

• 7.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 05, 2017 02:53 PM

I don't think escaping of spaces is required in RegEx searches (I have tried it too). Like I mentioned, this search works -

(.*)Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\)\:Responses Per Interval

But, when I try to make the search more restrictive, this query does not work -

(.*)IL10yyyyy038Cell02(.*)Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\)\:Responses Per Interval

Thank you.

• 8.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 03:12 PM

Your original query that you shared:

Try this one first by clicking on SuperDomain and searching for this.  Let's see if you get any responses at all.

Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\):Responses Per Interval

Then try this:

(.*)IL10yyyyy038Cell02(.*)|Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\):Responses Per Interval

If those above don't show anything, then use this one to simplify and then backtrack.  This will give you a lot, even ones you don't need but its useful to see the behavior.

Backends\|(.*):Responses Per Interval

• 9.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 05, 2017 04:02 PM

Thank you musma03. I am doing all my searches at the SuperDomain level.

Try this one first by clicking on SuperDomain and searching for this.  Let's see if you get any responses at all.

Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\):Responses Per Interval

This takes care of the RESOURCE + METRIC part of the search, and returns results that include metrics from different hosts and agents. Here is a smaller example of the results that I get (there is almost a 100 records returned), color coded to show which ones I want in the result, and which I don't.

HostProcessAgentResourceMetric
    IL10p11111WebSphereIL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM6Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB)Responses per Interval
    IL10p11111WebSphereIL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM7Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB)Responses per Interval
    IL10p11112WebSphereIL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM8Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB)Responses per Interval
    IL10p11112WebSphereIL10yyyyy038Cell02/XXXXCOE_JVM9Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB)Responses per Interval
    IL10p11111WebSphereIL10AAAA999Cell02/ZZZCOE_JVM1Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB)Responses per Interval
    IL10p11112WebSphereIL10AAAA999Cell02/ZZZCOE_JVM2Backends|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz.internal.abc-1155 (DB2 DB)Responses per Interval

Then try this:

(.*)IL10yyyyy038Cell02(.*)|Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\):Responses Per Interval

Then when I add the AGENT to the RegEx query, no results are returned.

Regards,

MT

• 10.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 04:19 PM

What happens if you try this?

IL10(.*)|Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\):Responses Per Interval

• 11.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 05, 2017 04:38 PM
    IL10(.*)|Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\):Responses Per Interval

For the above one, I get the same results like the one that I tabulated above.

IL10(.*)\|Backends\|db2r on tx-db2r-zzz\.internal\.abc-1155 \(DB2 DB\):Responses Per Interval

For this one above (notice the escape before the pipe in front of Backends), I don't get any results.

I did read somewhere that the search has a limitation that it cannot be used to combine the Host with the Resource and Metric. Not sure if the same would apply to being able to combine AGENT.

• 12.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 10:41 AM

Hi:

Was Hiko's suggestion helpful? Did you try doing as he advised? Is further assistance needed?

Thanks

Hal German

• 13.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 05, 2017 11:19 AM

No, Hal. I am still looking for a helpful solution to the question I posted. Thank you.

• 14.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 10:57 PM

Hi Mriganka,

I also cannot get it to work using agent name regex from the Superdomain level Search tab i.e. any string I enter before the Resource level does not impact the search results.

This is maybe where you read about that search limitation. The documentation for the Metric Browser Search tab within an agent centric node states that " Regular expressions cannot filter by agent, so it is not possible to search for agent name, host name, or process name.":

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/using/apm-workstation/triage-with-the-workstation/the-metric-browser-tab#TheMetricBrowserTab-Searchtab

So it looks like the same maybe true when searching from the top level Superdomain node.

As an alternative option have you tried with CLW or do you need to do it within the UI?

CLW Command Reference - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards,

Lynn

• 15.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 05, 2017 11:43 PM

Thank you, Lynn. Hopefully CA may implement this ability in some near future updates.

As an alternative option have you tried with CLW or do you need to do it within the UI?

CLW Command Reference - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation

I haven't used CLW in the past, but is it available to non-admin users? I will definitely read up on this. Thank you for sharing the information, Lynn.

Regards,

MT

• 16.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2017 08:45 AM

Hi Mriganka,

Glad we figured out that there is a limitation.  In this case, we invite you to create an Idea (Enhancement Request) on this.  Once you do, upvote it and we'll upvote it as well.  Would help to have the regex utilize host, process and agent names.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 17.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 06, 2017 10:24 AM

MT13

Did you get a chance to create an "Idea" like musma03 mentioned above? This capability should already be there as an OOTB feature (and not have limitations like you guys found out the hard way). Definitely go ahead and create the "Idea" and post the link to that "Idea" to this discussion/question so we can go ahead and vote on it.

If you need help in creating a new "Idea" (Enhancement Request) then please reach out to this discussion again.

Cheers

Manish

• 18.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2017 08:50 AM

• 19.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 06, 2017 10:59 AM

Thank you all for the helpful input on the topic. I will get the idea created today, and post a link here.

Regards,

Mriganka

Edit: Link to the IdeaAPM Investigator RegEx Search | Ability to search host, process, agent, with resource & metric 

P.S. I am a noob in the Community here. So, please do let me know if there are any changes that need to be done on the posted Idea. Thank you.

• 20.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 06, 2017 11:50 AM

Dear All,

An Idea has been posted in the Community. Please do take a look and up-vote, if you find appropriate.

Link to the IdeaAPM Investigator RegEx Search | Ability to search host, process, agent, with resource & metric 

Thank you,

Mriganka

• 21.  Re: APM Investigator RegEx Search | Combine Agent with Metric

Posted Apr 12, 2017 02:26 PM

MT13

Thanks for taking care of that. I've voted "up" for the idea and passed on to my co-workers as well.

Manish