Service Virtualization

• 1.  DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service

Posted Mar 08, 2018 09:56 AM

How do we get stand in mode to work for a DD service?

We are using DevTest 10.1
    We have a new Virtual service which uses a Dynamic Data sheet
    We are unable to get Stand in mode to work for this service

• 2.  Re: DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service

Posted Mar 08, 2018 10:36 AM

Hello Jay,

Could you give more details regarding why you are not able to get Stand In mode working?

Do you see the Stand In option to be selected or are you getting any errors?

Thank you,

Heloisa

• 3.  Re: DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service

Posted Mar 08, 2018 11:11 AM

Heloisa

The service returns the Meta response from the .vsi no service errors are reported

• 4.  Re: DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 08, 2018 01:54 PM

Let me start by saying I have not tried a DDVS in stand-in mode so what follows may not be possible to do in your environment.

I am guessing that by 'return META response', you are saying the service image is returning a 404 Not Found response. This makes me wonder what the VSI tried to select on in order to come up with the META response.

The following may or may not help, but I would probably try the following:

- Run only this virtual service so no other activity is on the machine

- Stop VSE 

- Remove the vse.log, VS_<serviceName>.log, and if possible vse_matches.log.  Note, if Registry is running, there may be a lock on vse_matches.

- Start VSE

- Get ready to submit the stand-in transaction

- Enable DEBUG in logging.properties

- Run the test

- Enable INFO in logging.properties

- Copy the logs to a location where you can independently look at them.

I would focus on any output that describes the steps the service went through to determine that META was the "response".

You might be able to do the same with other services running, but adding debug will create a forest of information which will make it difficult to look for the specific service.

• 5.  Re: DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service

Posted Mar 22, 2018 06:58 AM

Hi all,

I am working with Jay.Meadows.1

I would like to add some pointers for his question.

We have configured Datasheet for a service , We are getting response only for the entries in datasheet.

We are trying to configure Stand IN mode for the unmatched requests.[i.e entries not present in datasheet should be forwarded to live server].

From my observation, the unmatched request are returning unknown stateless response from VSI.

Please let us know ,how we need to configure VSI to forward unmatched request to Live server.

• 6.  Re: DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service

Posted Mar 22, 2018 08:21 AM

In your use case, I would consider adding a Scripted Assertion in the VSI Selection Step in the model. In this assertion, I would:

a) check if the response body starts with data found in the SI Not Found response such as "<html>   <head><title>404 Not Found<...".  or

b) access the response meta data and check the HTTP-Response-Code for 404 -- if that is what the SI Sets when sending the SI Not Found response.

If the data belonging to the approach you choose evaluates true, have the scriptable return true. Set the Scriptable to branch to the Live Invocation step if the assertion returns true.

You might need to use some script that includes things like: lisa_vse_request.get(0).getBodyAsString() or lisa_vse_request.get(0).getMetaData().get("HTTP-Response-Code").

• 7.  Re: DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service

Posted Mar 22, 2018 09:58 AM

Joel

That is what we have had to do for a non DD virtualization in 10.1.  This leads to believe the Stand in mode is broke, I believe it worked better back in version 9.5.  Meaning you selected it and it worked with no scripting being required.

Also the DD functionality only being available in the portal and not the workstation as it was in the past is proving to be a big issue. 

I am having to train people on two tools instead of one, in addition the portal is slow and does not interface well with the workstation.  I do not think much consideration has been given to the version control implications with the portal generated projects.  The portal does not recognize the deployed projects from the workstation.  Meaning when you deploy using a mar file the portal makes you select from the projects available on that server.  If this is a new project to being deployed to our production server it will be added to the Bank 5 project by default.

• 8.  Re: DevTest 10.1 - Virtual servce Stand In execution mode with a Dynamic Data enabled service

Posted Mar 22, 2018 08:02 PM

Best to open a ticket with support. I believe someone should conference with you to look at the behavior.