Clarity

• 1.  Turn off ETC calculation

Posted Oct 23, 2017 05:20 AM

To whom it might concern,

we have an automated daily import of actuals implemented. The ETCs change automatically. Is it possible to turn of that automatic ETC calculation so only project managers can change the ETCs manually?

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 23, 2017 10:53 AM

If you also set the Act Thru date to be later than the date of your actuals then entering actuals does not change the ETC in the same manner as adjustment timesheets don't.

• 3.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation

Posted Oct 24, 2017 03:58 AM

Thank you, we will try that.

• 4.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2017 08:30 PM

Hi Martti,

Yes, you are correct, any actuals entered prior to act thru date will not change the ETC but the Act Thru date is not an editable field and cannot be entered by user. Its calculated based on the last actual entered date. 

Jerin

• 5.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation

Posted Oct 26, 2017 11:29 AM

So are you saying that first enter zero hours for the last day of the time period (if entering future time is disabled) and post.

Then import the real actuals?

• 6.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2017 08:37 PM

Hi Rene,

I cant think of a way to stop the ETC from reducing when actuals come through  unless you want to play around with the loading pattern. For eg., if the loading pattern is Uniform, irrespective of whether you put in actuals or not, the ETC will be reduced every week. 

Thanks,

Jerin

• 7.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation

Posted Oct 26, 2017 11:32 AM

I beg to disagree on the loading pattern. It is fixed that behaves so.

That would mean that the regardless of entering time or not the ETC will change every week which is not what was wanted.

It would be easier just to hide and ignore the OOTB ETC field and use a custom field for that. A custom field will not change when time is entered.

• 8.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 09:20 PM

Hi Martti,

My bad, yes its fixed loading pattern which behaves the way I have mentioned above. 

I am not a big fan of hiding the ETC field and creating a custom attr because the ETC is not just limited to the assignments in tasks but also several project and financial management reports. 

By knowing the business requirements should help us sort a better solution. 

Jerin

• 9.  Re: Turn off ETC calculation

Posted Oct 26, 2017 11:53 AM

Interesting discussion.  However, wondering why one would want to disable this useful function?  I would expect project managers to be thankful for automated ETC changes, then only having to edit the exceptions where user needs more or less time than calculated.

Always interested in understanding the story.  It might lead to different solutions.