Layer7 Access Management

Expand all | Collapse all

SMPORTAL url gets truncated

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  SMPORTAL url gets truncated

    Posted 10-04-2017 11:03 PM

    Hi All,

     

    I have two applications configured in Siteminder. One with a policy domain say A and other is a third party integration, say B and hence have created partnership for the same.

     

    As per the application flow, there is a redirection from the A to B when the url of A is accessed. When we copy the url of A in the browser the redirection happens without any issue and we get redirected to the login page and post successful authentication/authorization we are redirected to the application.

     

    But when ctrl+click on the link of A, there seems to be some issue, and we notice that the SMPORTAL url which comes during the redirection in B gets truncated (randomly to any value) and hence gives an error. Sometimes its 500 internal server error and sometimes its page cannot display.

     

    This issue is intermittent as in, I am able to replicate it on Mozilla and Chrome but not on IE, whereas few of my team mates are able to replicate it on all browsers.

     

    Can you please check and let me know what might be causing this truncation of SMPORTAL url.

     

    Regards,

    Pankaj Sharma



  • 2.  Re: SMPORTAL url gets truncated

    Posted 10-05-2017 12:11 AM

    HI Pankaj 

     

    It is best to look at a fiddler, or Chrome dev-tools network trace, to see where URL's or headers are being truncated. 

     

    It does frequently happen that webservers (and browsers) have limits, 4k, 16k, or so and those can be exceeded and cookie or URL's can be truncated - from what you describe that seems to be what is happening.  

     

    But a fiddler trace usually clarifies excatly where those values are truncated.

     

    Cheers - Mark



  • 3.  Re: SMPORTAL url gets truncated

    Posted 10-05-2017 01:01 AM

    Hi Mark,

     

    Thanks for the reply.

    I checked the fiddler trace, and checked the URL limit as well, which is not exceeded in this case. The limit set in the ACO is 4k and the url length is around 700 characters.

    In the fiddler trace though, we noticed there is some mismatch wrt the redirection which is happening when we click on the link and when we copy paste the link.

     

    I am further checking from my end regarding the hyperlink which is created. But would like to know if there is any specific setting from Siteminder which could cause this issue with the hyperlink redirection.

     

    Regards,

    Pankaj Sharma



  • 4.  Re: SMPORTAL url gets truncated
    Best Answer

    Posted 10-05-2017 01:09 PM

    Pankaj

     

    You mentioned that when you copy the link of "A" everything works fine.

     

    However when you ctrl+click that causes the issue.

     

    I do not recall any parameter on CA SSO, but based on what URL gets formed, there can be downstream repercussions on CA SSO federation flow.

     

    I'd compare the fiddler trace of the successful flow and unsuccessful flow. Then try to see what are the difference at each request / response. Then try to walk my way from there and try to connect the dots.

     

    There is nothing much here in terms of fiddler traces OR logs on this blog, so it is really difficult to process.