Clarity

• 1.  How do I modify a Document in CA PPM?

Posted Nov 29, 2017 10:36 AM

My projects have a folder tree under the collab tab. when I go to make changes to documents in one of these folders I am unable to save changes. Let me offer an example.

Step 1. I create a project charter and upload it to the appropriate folder.

Step 2. later I come back and need to make changes. So I check this document out. When I open it the system says it is opened read only.

Step 3. I go ahead and enable edit

Step 4. I make changes and upload

Step 5. CA PPM tells me there already is a doc with the same name and tells me to save under a different name.

I thought PPM would support versioning without my manually doing this. I have tried several variations of the above with no success.

• 2.  Re: How do I modify a Document in CA PPM?

Posted Nov 30, 2017 12:04 AM

Hi Floyd.kershner,

Check-out and check-in to that document is the right way of editing document, you seems to miss check-in in this step.

Regards,

Prashank Singh

• 3.  Re: How do I modify a Document in CA PPM?

Posted Nov 30, 2017 01:11 AM

Check Out Documents

To view a document, open it in read-only mode. 

To edit a document, check it out of a folder. When you are finished, check the document back in. If document versioning is enabled, another version of the document is created automatically. 

Follow these steps:

1. Open the Knowledge Store page for a specific program or project, or the Document Manager page for a resource.
    2. Locate the document, and from the document Actions menu, click Check Out.
    3. Save the document to your desktop, and select a location for the file.
    4. Click OK.
    5. (Optional) To undo a document check out, select Undo Check Out from the document Actions menu. Only the user who checked out the document originally can undo a check out. Undoing a check out unlocks the document, allowing others to check out the document.
    6. To check the document back in with the changes that you made, click Check In from the document Actions menu. Browse for the updated copy in the location that was selected when you checked out the document.

NJ

• 4.  Re: How do I modify a Document in CA PPM?

Posted Nov 30, 2017 11:18 AM

What is the relationship between the Collaboration Tab and the Knowledge Store? Also I am not sure I know what the document manager for a resource is. I looked at a resource (team member) and did not find any place to store docs. When I go to the Knowledge Store and I don't see the documents I am referencing above. I do see some training info but not the docs related to my project.

• 5.  Re: How do I modify a Document in CA PPM?

Posted Nov 30, 2017 12:15 PM

Knowledge Store, Project Collaboration\Document Manager and Resource\Document Manager are three separate entities - the documents may all be stored in the same manner/object in the database, but from the user's/app's perspective, they are separate - meaning:

• You won't see a project's folder structure in the Knowledge Store (interesting idea though)
    • You won't see a resource's folders in the Knowledge Store
    • You won't see Knowledge Store content in project or resource Document Manager structures

Also, access rights to each area are separate - if you see Knowledge Store and Project Documents, but can't see Document Manager on Resources, then you lack the necessary Resource-Documents-View right.

Also, be aware that document viewing for Projects and Knowledge Store have two levels of access rights for non-participants - both must exist for user to access if they are not Participants:  For example on projects, folder or document must be marked "allow non-participant access" and User must have "Project-Documents-View" right (via instance, OBS or global).  What this means is that even if one has "View all Documents" right, but is not a named participant on the project, the project's collaboration manager(s) can still hide stuff from you by unchecking the "allow non-participant access" box.

Hope this is helpful.

Dale