DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  UMP/Dynamic Groups Slow to Update?

Posted Jul 03, 2017 01:27 PM

8.5.1 SP1

why do simple changes such as adding a User Tag value to one robot take so long to propogate to the UMP dynamic group?

the database is defragged every night. In general the UMP is just too slow updating in my opinion. Spectrum and other competitive systems don't take this long for even large changes. 

All UIM servers meet or exceed system requirements so that's not the issue. 

Thanks

• 2.  Re: UMP/Dynamic Groups Slow to Update?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 04, 2017 06:27 AM

trellis probe is responsible for providing grouping information.

You can check the behavior with an increased maximum heap size for the probe.

• 3.  Re: UMP/Dynamic Groups Slow to Update?

Posted Jul 05, 2017 01:35 PM

Hi,

Field like origin,usertag etc take a long time because of robot nis cache. For example, update the user tag of the robot, trigger the callback "nis_cache_clean" in controller.

I know because i have developed a probe that updates the origin and usertag fields automatically (and the customer complained about the same thing...). After a little troubleshooting, the hub developer telled me to clean the nis_cache of the robot. Otherwise the hub dont see the update when he callback the robot (because of this cache).

After few seconds/minutes your field will be updated in the USM.

Best Regards,

Thomas

• 4.  Re: UMP/Dynamic Groups Slow to Update?

Posted Jul 25, 2017 11:33 PM

Hi,

Your problem is solved or ? If yes please notify the subject as solved (thanks).

Best Regards,

Thomas

• 5.  Re: UMP/Dynamic Groups Slow to Update?

Posted Jul 31, 2017 10:24 AM

I would not call it solved, but this sounds like a viable solution.  The problem is I don't see it with just one robot, I experience with many robots.  While I could go to each robot and clear the cache, I'm the type if I have to do it more than three times (I'm being generous), then there needs to be a automated way to clear the cache across multiple targeted robots.

Speaking of automation, would you mind sharing the probe that updates the usertag field?  That is another of my pet peeves of having to go into each controller manually to update usertags.  You know how painfully slow that process is.

• 6.  Re: UMP/Dynamic Groups Slow to Update?

Posted Jul 31, 2017 12:56 PM

Hi, I have a shell script that perform a nis_cache clear from a list of robots (with probe utility).

Also have a script that update user_tag1, user_tag2 and origin from a list of robots.

I dont know if you have a linux hub in your environment that you can run this script, but if you want I can send to you.

• 7.  Re: UMP/Dynamic Groups Slow to Update?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2017 05:05 PM

Chris,

You can update the UserTags quickly to get them into the DB by restarting your Hubs that the robots connect to and you should see the UserTags start populating within 5-15 mins in your groups.