DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  alarm_enrichment failure

Posted Aug 01, 2017 04:31 AM

Checking my UIM environment this morning I noticed I had not received any alarms for a while and found that the alarm_enrichment probe (version 4.67) was red. I deactivated it and then reactivated and it came back online and alarms started coming in. There were no events saying that the alarm_enrichment probe had failed and the only reason I was aware was because I have set up an alarm to come in every 30 minutes as a sanity check to ensure alarms are working.

Looking at the log for alarm_enrichment, there is nothing in there that suggests any errors at all,  should an alarm for the failure been generated? I increased the log level in the nas probe but that only increases the logging for the nas.log not alarm_enrichment probe, how can I increase the logging for alarm_enrichment?

Thank you

• 2.  Re: alarm_enrichment failure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2017 06:44 AM

Hi 

nas probe ->using raw_configure ->  under setup ->enrichment_loglevel (this sets the alarm_enrichment loglevel)

nas 4.67 seems old version .What UIM version are you running?

Can use NAS 8.52 from below link

CA Unified Infrastructure Management Hotfix Index - CA Technologies 

• 3.  Re: alarm_enrichment failure

Posted Aug 01, 2017 06:52 AM

Thanks, yes we are a bit behind and now going through upgrade on the recommended path but upgrading 8.2 to 8.47 have had some issues so upgrading in the next week

• 4.  Re: alarm_enrichment failure

Posted Aug 01, 2017 09:45 AM

We had lots of issues with alarm_enrichment failing like this in the 8.2/8.3/8.4 versions. About the only thing that helped it was to institute a scheduled periodic restart of the probe. 

The newest version from the hotfix page seems to be much more stable than the prior versions - though not perfect. We have gone from daily failures to monthly.

One suggestion is to adjust the memory allocated to it - I run the initial memory at 2048M and the max at 4096M. The defaults seem to be just too small. And this is for the default out of the box configuration. Presumably if you are using alarm_enrichment for anything then you might need more.

-Garin

• 5.  Re: alarm_enrichment failure
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2017 09:08 PM

I am afraid to tell you that this has been long known problem.

Please take a look at this on what workaround is.

alarm_enrichment probe become unresponsive