Clarity

• 1.  Constraining Investment Process & Stages on Ideas

Posted Feb 21, 2017 02:56 PM

We're maturing our Demand & Portfolio Management processes. We desire to make a 'hard split' between Ideas and Projects. Ideas being for Demand Management & Project being for Project Management, obviously.

I notice it is possible to restrict the Investment Process and Stage values (typically what us project management types call lifecycles) to an Object. Service is shown below.

On our Ideas today, the INV_PROJECT_TYPE Investment Processes and Stages show:

OOTB (or, our box at least) we don't have Idea Investment Type.

Nor is there a "NEW" button here.

1) Does anyone else have Idea specific Investment Processes & Stages?

If so...

2) Is it as easy as creating a new INV_TYPE (INV_IDEA_TYPE?) level? If so...

3) I'm assuming this can happen via XOG?

I'm playing around with cowboying stuff in my Dev environment, but I'd prefer not to guess at this. Even if I XOG in an update to this lookup - is the Idea Object 'smart enough' to constrain to the INV_IDEA_TYPE Investment Process or does something else undocumented need done?

• 2.  Re: Constraining Invesment Process & Stages on Ideas

Posted Feb 22, 2017 05:32 AM

Hello Robert,

I can see an "Idea Process Status Types" lookup on the CA Clarity PPM tool. Does this help as a substitute?

Regards,

Suhail.

• 3.  Re: Constraining Invesment Process & Stages on Ideas

Posted Feb 22, 2017 08:40 AM

Hi Suhail. The Idea Process Status Type is targeted for use with the process engine (see the Idea Approval process). We're simply looking for getting an Idea specific lifecycle in the OOTB Stage attribute (ID: stage_code) that, when the user clicks browse, presents the Idea lifecycle only. Much like the Applications Object, Services, etc. We reeeeaaly want to stay in the box on the Investment Type lookup (ID: INV_TYPE) and the Stage attribute (ID: stage_code) since so much other functionality in the tool is prebuilt off of Stage. Thanks for digging though!

• 4.  Re: Constraining Investment Process & Stages on Ideas

Posted Feb 24, 2017 09:44 AM

Okay Robert. Just an afterthought - can an Idea be not called an Asset indirectly? Can we not relate the stages in an Asset Investment indirectly to an Idea? An Idea can be much bigger than just a proposal as I suppose. It will be interesting to read others views about this though.

Suhail.

• 5.  Re: Constraining Investment Process & Stages on Ideas

Posted Feb 24, 2017 05:32 PM

While one can get an INV_IDEA_TYPE into the Lookup...

This is all System Restricted:

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec576037.html 

I've been unable to find how I convince the the stage_code to pickup at the INV_IDEA_TYPE as the root node. I can see the INV_PROJECT_TYPE being passed in SQL Trace as well as in the browser debug on the Idea Object's Stage definition. I've been unable to find how I can influence this.

• 6.  Re: Constraining Investment Process & Stages on Ideas
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 27, 2017 05:35 PM