CA Service Management

• 1.  Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Posted Jan 24, 2018 09:45 AM

Hi, I have a table where we create several entries with the same value in two fields, and different values in another two, currently we have to create each entry one by one, I'll like to have a form where I introduce the two common values once and then add each pair of different values, and when I hit save I want it to create as many entries in the table, as pairs of differents values there are. I've thought of somehow rendering a html page of my own and then getting the values from the fields and saving them somehow, but I don't have the faintest idea of how to do that (the rendering into the CA SDM form and then saving the values I mean), also, if I have to do this I'll need also a way to make some of the fields work as a lookup.

Can you give me some ideas to do that?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2018 11:01 AM

Hello Kevin,

Could you provide a use case that applies the above scenario, including examples of how you want it all to work?  I admit that what you are asking for is a bit too abstract and it would help if we could get an idea of what you are trying to achieve and how the above would accomplish that goal.

Also as a side:  Service Desk 12.9 will soon be End of Support.  Please confirm also if you have plans to migrate to a later release.

• 3.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Posted Jan 24, 2018 12:03 PM

Hi David, yes, we'll be migrating to 14.1 soon

I have a table with the following structure:

Column1Column2Column3Column4
    The value of this field repeates whitin entriesThe value of this field repeates whitin entriesThe value of this field must be unique whitin all entries of the pair column1-column2The value of this field can repeat or not, but it must always be indicated

Now, I want a form with the following structure:

So, I'll indicate the two common fields, and then the different ones, and when I hit save, it'll create the entries with the two common fields and the different ones (as many entries as different values I've indicated)

It's true this is difficult to understand, as for me is difficult to explain, I hope I've clarified a bit.

Thanks for your time and help.

• 4.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2018 02:53 PM

Hello Kevin,

I apolgise that I am struggling to understand what you are trying to do here.  Perhaps if you could provide the use case, how you plan to use this functionality within Service Desk?  Is this being applied towards CI management of some kind? Can you provide a few high level examples of input that would be applied per field and the intended result?

On the surface, based purely on the requirements given, you would be looking at custom table development plus possible spel codes and triggers to control the table contents, which is most likely beyond the scope of support, especially spel code requirements.  However, if we could get a use case that explains from a practical standpoint how you would use all this in Service Desk, we may be able to assist or guide towards another approach to attain your requirements.

• 5.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Posted Jan 25, 2018 01:21 PM

In other words, give us your NEED and not your SOLUTION.

We may come with a supported approach that will be easier to develop and maintain.

• 6.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Posted Jan 30, 2018 01:46 AM

I need to create multiple entries in one form, combining two common values (all the records will have this two same values) and two values that will be different in each entry. I really don't know how can I further clarify...

• 7.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Posted Jan 30, 2018 07:58 AM

Maybe give us the use case?

What i'm trying to tell you is that you are explaining us the solution you want to achieve when maybe this is not the way to go.

Do you need to save informations relative to an incident?

Is this a completely new object that is totally unrelated to other SDM objects?

Probably that a customer or an enduser of yours asked for a functionnality and this is the solution you found but if you want us to help you, this is the customer/enduser inquiry that we need.

• 8.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 30, 2018 11:51 AM

Kevin,

We understand what you are asking about, which involves form and field entry comparison and manipulation, and I did provide a basic abstract of how to accomplish your specifics.  I had indicated in a previous post:

On the surface, based purely on the requirements given, you would be looking at custom table development plus possible spel codes and triggers to control the table contents, which is most likely beyond the scope of support, especially spel code requirements.  However, if we could get a use case that explains from a practical standpoint how you would use all this in Service Desk, we may be able to assist or guide towards another approach to attain your requirements.

While we can try and offer you possible direct solutions to accomplish the specifics of what you are asking about, it still does not explain what you plan to do with this functionality.  We are simply asking you what your use case is at a high level.  What does this table structure represent within a given service desk environment?  How would you invoke the functionality and under what conditions?  

We also realise the potential that the specifics of how the functionality in question is to be leveraged in your scenario is something you may prefer not to discuss here, or if you feel reluctant to do so under concern that we could potentially offer an existing solution that is already present within Service Desk that does not fit your needs.  However, consider that we have been going back and forth in this posting for a week now, and I feel we can agree that we have not yet come to a suitable finding on your initial query.  Providing us with the aforementioned use case would most likely help us to determine a reasonable solution to your concerns.

• 9.  Re: Create multiple entries from form (CA SDM 12.9)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 29, 2018 04:42 PM

Kevin,

Did you get a chance to review our previous findings and questions?