DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.

Posted Jan 10, 2018 08:29 AM

Hi,

I'm instrumenting a Spring Boot Application (Tomcat is used to run the webapp).

Agent is working, I'm getting the metrics. all is good. The only "problem" that I see right now is that the application name is not being set correctly under "Frontends|Apps"  - it is just "application", I want to be able to either to set it manually via property or auto-discover it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Maxim.

• 2.  Re: Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 09:23 AM

This KB article will show you how you can name the Agent.

Customize Java Agent naming based on Application. 

• 3.  Re: Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 10:01 AM

The article just relates to the whole agent name, the question is about the application name under Frontends|Apps

We have introduced a specific feature in special builds of 10.5.1 where you can specify the application name as well as an override. I'm not sure if it also got into 10.5.2

introscope.agent.application.name=

That could also be set as a JVM argument -Dintroscope.agent.application.name=

I'd suggest to raise a support case to mention defect DE292991 and we could provide you an updated build of the agent for 10.5.1 for sure, I don't think it can be delivered on any earlier agent version.

• 4.  Re: Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.

Posted Jan 10, 2018 10:33 AM

Thanks, Dave! 

I'll open a support ticket.

Cheers,

Maxim.

• 5.  Re: Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.

Posted Jan 10, 2018 10:40 AM

And you are correct, this new property is NOT in 10.5.2 (my agent version is Agent Release 10.5.2.15 (Build 990015)) and it doesn't work. ;-)

• 6.  Re: Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.

Posted Jan 10, 2018 10:07 AM

I'm probably not being clear enough here, apologies for the confusion. :-)

I am not after Agent naming, but rather set (or help wily agent to discover) the application name.

Normally, when you deploy a WAR into an application server, you have web.xml file which is used to extract the name of the web application(s). Here, I'm talking about Spring Boot application and I don't have web.xml file. I can set the name of the spring application via environment property, but it is not being propagated to the application name in the metric tree or in a transaction trace.

Any idea how can I set the Application Name property for my agent?

Thanks,

Maxim.

• 7.  Re: Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 10:10 AM

Depends on the Java container.

Have you read the section on agent naming? We do provide mechanisms to do this if we cannot get the name through "normal” means.

• 8.  Re: Setting an Application Name for a SpringBoot app.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 04:31 PM

Is the appname in the URL perhaps?

Is it available as a system property on boot?

Where would you like to use the appname when fetched?

Typically, we'll try to get that from the servlet getServletContextName, but it doesn't always work (as I found with Struts 2).