Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Are These Tips Helpful to Get Started with Microsoft Project or Open Workbench and CA PPM?

• 1.  Are These Tips Helpful to Get Started with Microsoft Project or Open Workbench and CA PPM?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2016 12:16 PM

I have seen a few questions on the communities.ca.com forum for CA PPM about opening projects in other scheduling tools. For example, users sometimes install their own download for Microsoft Project or Open Workbench, but often ask, “Where do I see an option to use these tools in the [Open in Scheduler] menu?” or “How do I enable a default for my project managers and other users?”

See Quick Tips to Open Projects in Microsoft Project (MSP) or Open Workbench (OWB) | CA PPM Cookbook.

http://flip.it/3KYvt0

Sent via Flipboard · Your personal magazine including the CA PPM Cookbook.

http://flipboard.com

• 2.  Re: Are These Tips Helpful to Get Started with Microsoft Project or Open Workbench and CA PPM?

Posted Aug 17, 2016 01:53 PM

Basically yes, but not comprehensive. Some things might improve the value.

For both MS Project and OWB the user/admin needs to check the requirement for jre and maybe OS.

Then there is a specific right which is required to access the download.

As far as MS Project is concerned there are additional items that need to be installed so a more specific link to the instructions to a fresh install would help.

That should also cover where to install in order the schedulers to work with the access rights of the Workstation.

Do the current versions offer a choice pf the scheduler? I think that is no longer the case and the install normally sets the default scheduler to MS Project. So to use OWB you need to change the default and see that the format is OWB for the existing projects.

The problem with the scheduler format field in the project list is that users may mess with it, therefore it is better to put that only in the administrators personal project list view.

Using OWB is fairly straightforward you just open the project from CA PPM which sets the connection details in most of the cases. MS Project requires more steps. Refer to the installation instruction in the documentation.

OWB also supports the custom fields in CA PPM and without separate mapping.

• 3.  Re: Are These Tips Helpful to Get Started with Microsoft Project or Open Workbench and CA PPM?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2016 02:49 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

• 4.  Re: Are These Tips Helpful to Get Started with Microsoft Project or Open Workbench and CA PPM?

Posted Aug 24, 2016 03:24 PM

Thanks for reaching out to the community for feedback Damon! Any more input for Damon folks?

Are These Tips Helpful to Get Started with Microsoft Project or Open Workbench and CA PPM?