DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  APM 10.5 compatibility for MS Hyper V RHELs

Posted Apr 19, 2017 06:06 AM
      |   view attached

Dear Community,

We want to incorporate CA APM 10.5 in our banking environment but recently ran into troubles with supported VM platforms.

Our environment runs on Microsoft Hyper V 2012 R2 virtual machines on which we planned to install an EM (for CEM) and a TIM on RHEL 6.5. Recently RedHat got in touch with us suggesting that RHEL 6.5 has known stability issues on Hyper 2012 and we should upgrade to later versions. We queried CA Support for the latest supported RHEL versions on Hyper V and got the below response - 

MS Hypervisor is not supported.

I want to ask the community if there are any APM environments running successfully on Hyper V virtual machines or faced any issues. Are there any specific challenges with Hyper V hypervisor that affect APM performance etc. or any fixes available.

Thank you!

PS: attached is RedHat's input on bug with RHEL 6.5 on Hyper V environments causing integration services to malfunction.

• 2.  Re: APM 10.5 compatibility for MS Hyper V RHELs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 06:12 AM

The problem with running the TIM in any virtual environment is always:

1. Performance (Virtualization removes actual performance from the TIM)

2. The network interface has to be put into promiscuous mode (the one the TIM uses to receive TAP/SPAN data).

Even though it would probably be technically possible to run the TIM in a hyperV environment, it would require the TAP/SPAN Network interface to be put into promiscuous mode. If that works in a HyperV environment, I can't tell.

From my side - I never tried it. I tested it on ESX VM's, VMWare and Virtualbox without a problem.

Docker also works, openshift while providing the TIM Container root-access rights (Which any decent admin will refuse doing).

I would be interested if you manage to get it to run cleanly.

Note that running TIM on a HyperV is not supported by CA. So you are on your own here.

• 3.  Re: APM 10.5 compatibility for MS Hyper V RHELs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 06:29 AM

Thanks Joerg!

Sameer(@ Giriraja) hope you are ok with this.