DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Team Center Map with Automatic group

Posted Feb 23, 2017 07:05 AM

Hi all folks,

does someone know the rule the Team Center assign resources to an "Automatic group" in APM 10.5.1.

The "Default Overview" contain two "Automatic group" and some other resources only.
    One "Automatic group" contain 1536 and the secound one 908 application names, but I can't understand the rule the Team Certer assign the application to one of the "Application group".

Any Idea,
    Lutz

• 2.  Re: Team Center Map with Automatic group

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 24, 2017 07:35 AM

Dear Lutz:

I have asked internally for people to respond. If this thread stays silent, please open a case if wishing to pursue.

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Team Center Map with Automatic group
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 08, 2017 12:15 PM

Hi all folks,

there is a property to change the number of nodes not to be automatically grouped in the IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties file.

introscope.apmserver.ui.configuration.name.0=LIMIT_OF_NON_GROUPED_VERTICES
    introscope.apmserver.ui.configuration.value.0=150x

I have no detail information about the property, but I increase the value from 150x to 500x and the generated views became slow but more useful.

Bye, Lutz

• 4.  Re: Team Center Map with Automatic group

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2017 12:26 PM

Hi Lutz,

if the number of nodes in the map becomes too large (especially in the "No Group" perspective) ATC creates automatic groups to collapse the map. There is not much intelligence behind those automatic groups.

The best way to avoid this:

1. Use filters (and universes which are essentially filters) to reduce the number of nodes on the map
    2. Use perspectives to group nodes by attributes that make the most sense in your environment
      1. E.g. application or hostname which are attributes coming from the agents or
      2. Docker, AWS, CMDB ... attributes coming from extensions
      3. Create your own custom attributes (e.g. location based on hostname patterns or application groups based on application) by defining attribute rules in the settings page and build your own custom perspective

Ciao,

Guenter

• 5.  Re: Team Center Map with Automatic group

Posted Jun 01, 2017 11:33 AM

Hi Guenter,

yes, this is the way I try to reduce the number of nodes on the maps.

Unfortunately a perspective based on a hostname contain round about hundred nodes.

I try to use additional attributes, but it doesn't work well. It seems to me, the attributes are stored based on the hostname and the nodename/resourcename in the database, but we moved applications between a group of systems/hostnames. The defined attributes are gone all the time an application was moved to a new system/hostname.

Today, I use the Experience View Cards based on the "agentDomain" only. This is the only dynamic view I find.

I spent no time to follow the suggestion from Stig Skillbred to use the API to do some automatic Teamviewer configurations in the past (sorry). But I plan to create some scripts to do this in the future.

Bye, Lutz

• 6.  Re: Team Center Map with Automatic group

Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:25 AM

Hello Guenter,
    I spent some time to add some Attribute Rules, Perspectives and Universes to the nine small Environments last week.

Experience Views 3 to 29
    Attribute Rules 20 and some more
    Perspectives 3
    Universes 1 to 7

It seems to me, this is the most useful way.
    On a large system I define 78 Experience Views step by step in the past, but some of the Views based on the agentDomain attribute doesn't work and some domain entries are removed from the selection list, but resources are assigned to the domain entry (I don't care).

In my opinion the Experience Views based on the agentDomain are useful and very flexible to use.

Based on the Attribute Rules with some regex filter I add five additional attributes. This attributes are the base for the defined Perspectives and Universes.

I spent no time to add additional attributes to the nodes via a patch request like suggested by Stig Skilbred. The Attributes Rules are useful and the attributes are assigned to new nodes automatically and moved agents are handled properly.

I agree, Perspectives and Universes are useful and some defined attributes (we use five) helps to select the right data/nodes only.

Thanks for all suggestions,
    Lutz