DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Posted Mar 29, 2017 11:46 AM

If I request one minute of data with a 60s resolution, I expect one data-point which is the sum of the four 15s datapoints.  What I get is one data point that is the sum of three of those 15s datapoints (the ones from 30, 45 and 60, but not the one from 15).

Examples:

https://myhost:8444/data/query?agentRegex=[^\|]*\|[^\|]*\|[^\|]*&metricRegex=myMetric&period=15&start=201703291445&end=201703291446&format=xml 

<introscope-datapoints><datapoint><agent-name>SuperDomain|Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual)</agent-name><metric-name>myMetric</metric-name><end-timestamp>29 Mar 2017 14:45:15 GMT</end-timestamp><period-in-seconds>15</period-in-seconds><data-point-count>2</data-point-count><minimum>0</minimum><value>2</value><maximum>2</maximum></datapoint><datapoint><agent-name>SuperDomain|Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual)</agent-name><metric-name>myMetric</metric-name><end-timestamp>29 Mar 2017 14:45:30 GMT</end-timestamp><period-in-seconds>15</period-in-seconds><data-point-count>3</data-point-count><minimum>0</minimum><value>3</value><maximum>3</maximum></datapoint><datapoint><agent-name>SuperDomain|Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual)</agent-name><metric-name>myMetric</metric-name><end-timestamp>29 Mar 2017 14:45:45 GMT</end-timestamp><period-in-seconds>15</period-in-seconds><data-point-count>2</data-point-count><minimum>0</minimum><value>2</value><maximum>2</maximum></datapoint><datapoint><agent-name>SuperDomain|Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual)</agent-name><metric-name>myMetric</metric-name><end-timestamp>29 Mar 2017 14:46:00 GMT</end-timestamp><period-in-seconds>15</period-in-seconds><data-point-count>4</data-point-count><minimum>0</minimum><value>4</value><maximum>4</maximum></datapoint></introscope-datapoints>

As you can see, the values here add up to 11. However, if I change the period to 60, instead of 11, I get 9:
    https://myhost:8444/data/query?agentRegex=[^\|]*\|[^\|]*\|[^\|]*&metricRegex=myMetric&period=60&start=201703291445&end=201703291446&format=xml 
    <introscope-datapoints><datapoint><agent-name>SuperDomain|Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual)</agent-name><metric-name>myMetric</metric-name><end-timestamp>29 Mar 2017 14:46:00 GMT</end-timestamp><period-in-seconds>60</period-in-seconds><data-point-count>9</data-point-count><minimum>0</minimum><value>9</value><maximum>9</maximum></datapoint></introscope-datapoints>

It always seems to cut off the first of the 15s values when I ask for it as a 60s value.

• 2.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 11:49 AM

Looks like you're using the Easy Integration Kit.

If you look at the README, it mentions a demo page that you can use to create your queries and see the results.

For you, it would be: https://myhost:8444/data/demo.

• 3.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Posted Mar 29, 2017 12:31 PM

Is there an alternative to the Easy Integration Kit you'd recommend?  Would I be better using the CLW?

• 4.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 01:32 PM

They do the same thing, so you would still get the same data.

We need to focus on the query and see what the issue is.

• 5.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 12:02 PM

Dear Sam:

Please let us know if Hiko's answer was helpful and if there are any additional questions

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Posted Mar 29, 2017 12:30 PM

I've had a look at the demo page but it hasn't helped me with this.  In fact using "last1min" it looks to only include the last value from that period, rather than the sum (so it would return 2 in the above example).  It also sometimes returns 2 datapoints (going back two minutes), which could cause problems in the tool I'm feeding this data into.

• 7.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 12:35 PM

It is worth mentioning that your ability to pull 15 second data is controlled by your SmartStor Tier 1 setting. By default, this is 7 days.

If you're querying throughout a given day, then it's not going to be a problem.

I'll try this query out and see what kind of results I can pull back.

• 8.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2017 03:48 AM

Hi Sam,
    Easy Integration uses JDBC API, check if you have the same issue using CLWorkstation, the behavior looks similar to previous defects # TT 64971, TT 52922. It could be regression.

++
    Subject: CLW not working as expected
    Description:     For same CLW query the customer is seeing different vales of data points. For example for quesry of I min in the past with 15 sec resolution thye should see 4 data points, but the customer is sometimes seeing, 4, 3, even 2.
    Fixed in 8.1.3
    Resolution: Code Change. For CLW query for 1 min in the past with 15 sec resolution there should see 4 data points now. Verified on the 8.1.3.0 (Build 478302). It's working as expected thus closing the issue.
    ++

Before opening a case check the below:
    - try to run the query locally from the EM itself, if this is a cluster environment, run the query from the collector, it will help you confirm that the problem is not related to the network
    - check if the same issue occurs when querying Agent metrics and EM supportability metrics.
    - If the issue occurs only with Agent data, find out if the issue affecting specific Agents, for example EPAgents, it could be related to the delay setting
    - if you have changed the default tiers. it could be an issue there
    - try increasing introscope.enterprisemanager.memoryCache.elements in the EM properties file

Regards,
    Sergio

• 9.  Re: How do you get a single minute's data from the APM API?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2017 08:15 AM

Dear Sam:

Please try Sergio's suggestion. Let us know if it was helpful.  If that does not help, please open a case and later let us know the solution to help others that may have this situation

Thanks

Hal German