DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

• 1.  APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Posted Sep 13, 2016 05:28 PM

Hi All,
    I am having some issues trying to get my APM stable in the environment that I am working on. I have one specific question that may or may not be relevant.
    I recently read that JVMs can be made by anyone, not just Oracle. As such, I didn’t know if there was an issue with APM and JVMs that are not Oracle, in my case the JVM is IBM 1.6.1?
    I have skimmed thru bugs and what not but, didn’t see anything specific to this.
    My APM version is 10.1
    Thanks you.

-George

• 2.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 05:45 PM

Hi George:

I am looking at the APM 10.1 Compat Guide and if this is for agents, most IBM JVMs supported are 1.7 & 1.8 SAP Portal Services 

Can you provide more specifics on the issues that you are having including operating system, application server, and any error messages. (Screenshots can help as well.)

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:06 AM

Hi Hal,

That’s for the quick reply, I don’t know too much right now, because the machine belongs to a team that is not my own, I will try and get as much information as possible.

• 4.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 05:49 PM

Also provide the exact version of IBM J9 VM (patch levels, etc).

• 5.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:07 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

I will try and get that information today. But as it stands I don't know all that information.

• 6.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 09:45 AM

Also provide us with the issue you are experiencing.  Is the agent not starting?  Please describe the issue in detail.

• 7.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:07 AM

In addition to what my colleagues have said, if you are monitoring any application in IBM JVM 1.6 you have to use the AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar and the NoRedef.profile, this is due to known problems with monitoring IBM JVM.

Because we mostly tend to discover usage of IBM JVM with WebSphere, the documented note about this is found in the WebSphere configuration section of Java agent documentation:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-1/en/implementing-agents/java-agent/install-the-java-agent/configure-application-server-to-use-the-java-agent/websphere#WebSphere-ConfigureWebSphereApplicationServertoUsetheJavaAgent

• 8.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:13 AM

HI David,

Thanks for the detailed responses. I will try and gather more information as this stuff was kind of just dumped on me so I am still in the sort phase.

• 9.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:16 AM

Hi All,

So I also have a different issue with a different server but, I will start a new Thread for that. I don't know if this issue is going to be related to the other issue but, I think maybe they might be. 

When I start that Thread I will reply with the link here as well.

Thank you all for the quick responses.

-George

• 10.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:17 AM

Dear George:

This is usually meant for quick questions. I am wondering if this would be better handled as a case and you can take your time to gather the information requested. Please let us know. In any case, you are always welcome to continue responding to the thread with what information you can provide when received

Thanks

Hal German

• 11.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:33 AM

Hi All,

What I know Right Now:

APM is install on our QA server.
    This QA server is divided in such a way that there are 3 JVMs

All JVM are IBM 1.6.1
    What I think Right Now:

I am only getting what appears to be OS information with APM.

When I initiate a transaction on the web portal, it doesn’t seem to be captured on the APM.

I am thinking that the transaction is running thru one of the other 2 JVMs.

The other 2 JVMs I was told by someone I work with, that the agent was disabled because it was interfering with other applications. I don’t know much more about what applications they are referring to but, I will try and find out.

• 12.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:42 AM

All right all,

I feel really bad about this but, I went to grab a screen shot and it looks like the data might be there now, but I promise it wasn’t there the last month. Specifically, the Frontend folder wasn’t there but now it is.

Here is the screen shot, just because.

• 13.  Re: APM issues with Non-Oracle JVMs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:50 AM

Thanks George. Will mark this as answered then. We will look forward to your new thread.