Service Virtualization

• 1.  Possibility to cascade suites while mixing parallel and serial execution

Posted Oct 27, 2016 09:57 AM

Hi all,

The idea is to create several suites, each containing a number of tests. All these suites should run their content in a sequential (serial) order.

I would also like to create a suite, containing all those suites mentioned before. But this time I would like to run those in parallel.

This would allow me to run a number of tests with a parallelity corresponding to the number of subsuites.

It is possible to cascade suites, however in this configuration, all the tests will run at the same time. It looks like the configuration from the “mastersuite” will also apply to the called subsuites.

Is there a reasonable way to achieve the goal from within CA DevTest?

Thanks for your opinion and ideas

• 2.  Re: Possibility to cascade suites while mixing parallel and serial execution
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2016 02:11 PM

Hi  Maurizio,

Thats correct,  if you have a master suite that contains suites,  the master suite will cascade down  (flatten out) the execution for all the tests.  So if the master is set to parallel,   all tests in the sub suites will run in parallel.  Here is a solution that may help you out.

In the example below

Suite 1  contains test a, b, and c

Suite 2  contains test d, e, and f

Suite 3  contains test g, h, and i

and you wanted to run test a,b and c in parallel,   then run d,e,f in parallel while the suites are running serially,  what you can do is make use of our invoke API (or LISA invoke).  and create a driver test that has three REST step to invoke each suite via the invoke API rest service.   I have included a link to the documentation on the Invoke API below.  

LISA Invoke - DevTest Solutions - 8.0.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps.   Unfortunately the reporting will be in separate reports,  but this will give you an option if you need to stage your suites this way.

Thanks

-Joe

• 3.  Re: Possibility to cascade suites while mixing parallel and serial execution

Posted Dec 28, 2016 07:40 AM

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your answer. I will definitely have a look at the REST API and the possibilities we'd have with it.

Best Regards
    Maurizio