Service Virtualization

• 1.  Sample Docker Deployment scripts

Posted Nov 03, 2016 08:27 PM
      |   view attached

Hey DevTest gang,

I have attached a sample set of deployment scripts for using Docker with DevTest 9.5.1

Most time,  large corporations will want to create their own corporate image to apply customizations to a docker image (jars, other assets),  so attached are some samples that I used for one of our customers...

inside the attached zip  you will find 3 folders

dradis-joe

reg-joe

vse-joe

In each of the folders,  you will notice a build.sh and a run.sh.   This is assuming you are using the bridge networking in your docker install.

Looking into the dradis-joe folder here is a bit of an explanation of the files...

build.sh 

This file will take the existing detest/dradis-base image that is created by the gradle install and call the new image dradis-joe:latest  by processing the included Dockerfile file

Dockerfile

This file describes how to build the new image that is being created by the build.sh file...

You will notice  there is a lisa.properties and logging.properties file in the same folder as the docker file.  You will also notice that the Dockerfile has this entry too

ADD devtestlic.xml /opt/devtest/devtestlic.xml

So if you needed to use your devtestlic.xml with your dockerized EDB,  you would place the devtestlic.xml file here,  and run the build.sh to generate your new image with your devtestlic.xml

run.sh

This obviously runs the image that was created in the build.sh file

docker run -v /logs/EDB:/root/lisatmp_9.5.1 -d  --name=dradis-joe --net="bridge" dradis-joe:latest

the -v is so I can mount the log volume in the docker container back to the host machine, for ease of seeing the log files without having to connect to the container.

A couple other useful  docker commands..

If you are using bridge mode with your networking,  if you want to find out which IP is assigned to which docker container,  try out  docker network inspect bridge

docker ps    (shows the images that are running in dockers)

docker rm -v $(docker ps -a -q -f status=exited)     - removes images in a status of exited

The final directory  portal-joe  has a couple run commands for starting the portal and the broker in a container.

Hope this helps you out with the "a-ha moment" if you have been struggling with dockers, and how you may be able to implement with DevTest.

Just a FYI,  this is something that is community supported.  If you need further help with rolling out Dockers in your environment,  reach out for some community support,  or local CA account rep  who can put you in touch with our services group 

Cheers,   and have fun.

-Joe

Attachment(s)

zip
    JoeEnv.zip   38 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: Sample Docker Deployment scripts

Posted Nov 10, 2016 02:36 PM

Thanks for sharing joewilliams!

• 3.  Re: Sample Docker Deployment scripts

Posted Apr 23, 2018 09:18 PM

Is the images still in docker hub, couldnt pull it from the repo. 

• 4.  Re: Sample Docker Deployment scripts

Posted Apr 24, 2018 03:26 AM

These docker images were based on DevTest 9.5.1, which will be EOS in about 3 months.. You may want to create new ones based on latest DevTest release following instructions at DevTest Docker Containers.

• 5.  Re: Sample Docker Deployment scripts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2018 09:36 AM

I am researching how we can improve our CA Service Virtualization (DevTest's) Docker implementation and would love your feedback so that we can understand your needs.  I started a discussion thread entitled Feedback on How to Improve SV's Docker Solution.

In this post, I have requested your help to take a 5 minute survey in order to gather your feedback.  

Thank you for your help!

Beverly Mindle

Senior Product Manager