Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Can you get the full project hierarchy in a single web service call?

• 1.  Can you get the full project hierarchy in a single web service call?

Posted May 14, 2015 07:09 AM
    I see I can piece together the hierachy by querying the children for each project starting at the root but that would be a bunch of web service calls.  Is there a single call that provides the hierarchy?

• 2.  Re: Can you get the full project hierarchy in a single web service call?
    Best Answer

Posted May 27, 2015 08:36 PM
    Unfortunately there's no single call that supports this. I've talked to the folks on the Rally support side and I understand that there are performance challenges that prevent them from exposing this via API.

In our mobile application we've worked around this in a couple of ways:
    • We provide an alphabetically flattened list of all the projects in the workspace as a path to completeness.
    • For hierarchy we query those projects that the user has access to which have no parent and then as the user navigates (expanding the sub-hierarchy) we do subsequent fetches to retrieve the set of child projects for the parent. It's a disconcertingly chatty process but the best that we've been able to come up with thus far

• 3.  Re: Can you get the full project hierarchy in a single web service call?

Posted May 27, 2015 09:42 PM
    What mobile app?

• 4.  Re: Can you get the full project hierarchy in a single web service call?

Posted May 27, 2015 09:43 PM

• 5.  Re: Can you get the full project hierarchy in a single web service call?

Posted May 27, 2015 09:50 PM
    Ahhh.  Looks cool!!! Thanks!!