DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Dynamic Instrumentation usage

Posted Nov 02, 2015 01:58 PM

In our company, we have a group of dedicated System Performance Engineers (SPE) that can be requested via the application team. Most of these are staunch APM advocates (even if they still call it Wily). This will not touch and application that does not have at least the Introscope Agent installed. Most of these people look at Introscope as the "Performance Monitor" but during the Debug process they will often install HP Diagnostics for its Profiling capabilities. Sometimes, in a new cluster they will initially  devote all the JVMs on a particular machine to HP Diagnostics.

I typically do not have access to the WebSphere Console (all installations an update are done by our "partner" IBM) so when an application team asks why they can see some servers in Introscope and not others it takes me some time to figure out that it does not have an agent since HP Diagnostics is running.

Anyway....I digress....since most of the SPE folk have not heard about the new Instrumentation capabilities in the 9.7/10.x agents and it is hard for me to explain it since I do not know if I understand it completely....

So, has anyone put together a document how to use this new facility in Debug and Dev/OPs?  I have looked in the IntroscopeAgent.profile and the manuals and have not come up with a good way to explain it to the SPE people...

I ask since I think if there are things they can easily do with an agent to increase the visibility they will tend not to go thru the work to have the agent removed to install HP Diag...

Thanx

Steve

• 2.  Re: Dynamic Instrumentation usage

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 08:50 PM

Steve:

If this should be added to a particular section of the documentation, please add a note on the wiki.ca.com for your release

• 3.  Re: Dynamic Instrumentation usage

Posted Nov 04, 2015 01:27 AM

Hello Steve,

If details in documentation are in a level that they can't understand and if there are difficulties in explaining to SPE's, please look at APM youtube channel for smart instumentation videos. You can also have a look at BrightTalk channel to explain the power of APM. There are plenty of videos to explain the things in a way for end users to understand the importance of APM.

CA Application Performance Management - YouTube

https://www.brighttalk.com/channel/7819/ca-technologies-application-performance-mgmt

There is a specific talk in BrightTalk channel around  "Catch Early-Fix Early" topic to explain how APM is used in development phase. I hope using APM in dev phase will help to fine-tune the coding which improves the performance of application.

Thanks,

Karthik

• 4.  Re: Dynamic Instrumentation usage

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2015 12:47 PM

Hi Steve,

we have a series of webcasts planned including one about Smart Instrumentation but they will only start after CA World. Are you coming? Then I coudl show you

Ciao,

Guenter