Clarity

• 1.  Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?

Posted Nov 19, 2015 02:58 PM

Hi all.

The 14.3 Change Impact & Upgrade Guide details upgrading CABI to Release 3.3 SP2 and importing new Universes. What If we don't do this? Has something changed with the datamodel/universes?

Our goal is to convert reports and retire BO within a couple months after our upgrade. We'd prefer to not put any more work or add the risk dimension of touching anything with Business Objects at this time. Other than re-scheduling the renamed Update Report Table job - i don't want to touch anything else. What's the risk of doing nothing? Will everything keep working as is?

• 2.  Re: Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 19, 2015 05:47 PM

what version are you currently on? (clarity and cabi?)

are you using the otb universes?

I've seen mentions in the saas documentation about the universes changing

It doesn't appear in terms of business object versions (13.3 cabi 3.3 sp1 to 14.2/3 cabi sp2) that there is much difference and your custom reports/universes would still work (assuming you've covered any data structure changes).

Of course CA may decide not to support you as they have recommended to upgrade CABI. Think that is the main risk.

SumanPramanik - any chance of a definitive answer on this one?

• 3.  Re: Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?

Posted Nov 19, 2015 06:20 PM

I guess "updated to reflect database schema changes in Release 14.3" is the big question.

We're running reports built off of a copy of the original 1.0 universes that we've built into. The only thing that would adversely affect these would be tables that were dropped. The dropped tables listed are all "XBKP" prefixed tables. Looking at the Universes in designer I'm not seeing that any XBKP tables are used.

designer.jpg

Too bad i uninstalled Business Objects in my Dev & Test environments to make room for Jaspersoft or I'd actually be able to TEST this...

Thanks Andy for helping me think this through - I think we're gonna be OK. I'll report back if otherwise.

• 4.  Re: Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2015 06:15 PM

Hello Robert

The Cabi will work, but CA may not support if any Escalation, if there is any Escalation then will request you to upgrade the CABI.

Thank You

• 5.  Re: Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?

Posted Nov 19, 2015 06:21 PM

Thanks Mustafa. As long as it'll keep running "as is" we're happy. I will accept & own the risk of being out of support. The goal will be to get BO decommissioned as soon as we can.

• 6.  Re: Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2015 02:44 AM

Hi Robert_Ensinger, am1

The change from BO with 13.3 and 14.3 is the service pack change to enhance the BO stability, in terms of the Biar file provided and csp reports there is no change as far as I am aware. But again in terms of supportability you will be requested for upgrade.

Hope you move to Jaspersoft soon.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 7.  Re: Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?

Posted Nov 20, 2015 07:40 AM

Thanks Suman. I have the BO stability monster contained - as long as the CSP Reports are unchanged I'll feel confident skipping this service pack and put my time towards porting our reports and cleaning up technical debt.

• 8.  Re: Any harm in *not* upgrading CABI/Business Objects in 14.3?

Posted Nov 30, 2015 01:53 PM

Just chiming in to state that we recently upgraded to 14.2 and left our BO environment as is, no updates or imported BIAR, kept it as it was. We don't have a lot of usage in BOXI, mostly reports I run myself, so figured if anything blew up I'd be the one to notice and fix it, but so far no issues. Plan is to move it all over to Jasper anyway so no sense in spending more time on it than needed.