Clarity

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (May 2016)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (May 2016)

Posted May 16, 2016 03:40 PM

Miss the May PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in June for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes.

We're ready for questions!

from Lynn to Everyone:

There is a published Design defect that custom multi-valued lookups don't show in the portfolio. any plan to fix that? If not, what is a work around?   The OOTB Portfolio

object attribute 'stakeholders' is multi select (multi value) and it works, so why not a custom field? Any suggestions?

from Dave to Everyone:

I have a business unit that wants to calculate labor cost using multiple rates on different projects for the same resource.  Is that even possible?

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:

@Dave : yes - you can use the 'Project' or 'Investment' column in the Rate Matrix configuration

from Dave to Everyone:

To clarify, on project X the resource cost is A but on project Y the resource cost is B

@Dave, then you can have  Project A and Project B rates with the other columns in the matrix

from Dave to Everyone:

ok I'll look at that.  Can I give update permissions to that information without making someone a full admin in the tool?

from Venita to Everyone:

Are there any documented best practices on efficient set up and maintenance of CA PPM security?

@Dave, there are partial Admin access rights, but not just for the matrix

from Dave to Everyone:

so you need full admin rights to update the rate matrix?

@Dave, you need Financial Administrator rights

from Ramana to Everyone:

Hi,  I gave the Project - Xog Access and project view management All Global right to the user to the xog out the projects, but receives "java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: [CA Clarity][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement at com.ca.clarity.jdbc.oraclebase.ddcg.b"  error. 

from Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:

@Ramana: I would strongly suspect this is something that needs looking into via a support case - one of the first things I would ask, and you can perhaps collect for putting into that case - would be enabling SQL Trace for the user and have them try again.  Once it collects the log file, include that with your issue report.

from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone:

@Lynn, we have a known issue CLRT-79000 where the custom MVL does not show values on Portfolio, is that the issue you are referring to? In this issue the MVL is added to Project.

@Ramana: Also include the app-ca logs please as that message I suspect will be presented there in full also

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika.. yes, but it is not limited to projects. It does not work on the idea object either. the values won't show on the portfolio.

@Lynn, if it's this defect, it should be fixed in 14.4. Can you try on your 14.4. instance? I can send you the steps to reproduce by email to confirm if you want.

from Lynn to Everyone:

I have 14.4 installed in a test. I can test it, I know the steps. since I found that defect when I ran into it but did they only fix it for projects? (which would not make sense).. thanks

from Ramana to Everyone:

Hi, Event Enabled is not abled for TAsk object in my environment.  I am planning to able it. What are the impacts of enabling?  Fyi.. already, we have on-demand Gel script processes.

@Lynn, it should be fixed for NPIOs as well so you should be set. The reason I mentioned Project is that it was part of the steps to reproduce, wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika-- sorry forgot your tag on the last reply.. Thanks,, I will validate it

from John W. George (CA Technologies) to Everyone:

@Venita - we unfortunately do not have any documented best practices on efficient setup and maintenance of CA PPM security. What we do have published is in the official documentation here: https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-4/administrating/configure-authentication-and-security

@Ramana: The default setting for Task is enabled for Event Enabled anyway.  The impacts will determine on how many active processes you have that can auto-start for the task object as a primary object, the more you have, the more checks each process engine in your environment has to do whenever a task is created or saved (for update processes).  It's not easy to put into figures, but there is a recent tecdoc that will be published shortly on the topic of process engines quantity and related impacts of having many active auto-start processes for a record being updated.  It will have ID TEC1908033 when it is published.

Ready for more questions:)

from Lynn to Everyone:

@Nika, thanks again, I just validated and the data shows-- just disappointing that it stetches across the cell like one big text field.. very difficul to read. I don't have the option to wrap the column text, only the header. Is it supposed to display in one blob like text? It makes the value not legible..

from Lynn to Everyone:

@nika-- stretches.. had a typo

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Nick,  There are not active auto-start processes on task but couple of on-demand processes in the system. I will go thru techdoc 

@Lynn : I see, sorry you don't see it the way you would like to. We can take a look, can you raise a Support case with a couple of screenshots please?

@Ramana: On Demand processes aren't considered for events that are fired on instances, so those ones will not impact eachother.

from Lynn to Everyone:

sure.. I will around to that, let me play with it some more. I would think in design that they would have considered the UI/layout : thanks again..

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Nick,  Ok. thank you

OK Everyone - If no more questions for today, well wrap up and see you back here in June. Thanks for participating!

05/12/2016    10:38:30 AM    from Martti K. to Everyone:

Hold it

@martti...holding...:)

from Damon (Tech Pubs) to Everyone:

@Venita , You might be able to get some ideas about Implementing Security in CA Clarity PPM, a flipboard article available here http://cookbooks.ca.com/cacppm/2013/10/04/implementing-security-in-ca-clarity-ppm/

from Martti K. to Everyone:

@John There was a green paper on security. I tried the search in 14.4 docs and it did not find it

@John you post on the CA PPM docs thread Most of the content in the CA PPM documentation (over 90%) is 100 public domain, free to view, and readily available without you having to log in to see it

Just opened the URL and had to log in. Please elaborate on that.

from John W. George (CA Technologies) to Everyone:

@Martti - yes, you are correct. However, that document you are referring to is only valid for an end of life version of CA PPM, 12.1.0. The Green Books site does not exist anymore either as CA Technologies does not publish Green Books anymore.

The same thing is brought up in the thread Issues and Solution for Help Option in 14.3 OnDemand

from Damon (Tech Pubs) to Everyone:

@Venita and Martti -- be careful this PDF is old and based on Clarity 12.0.6 but may still have value to your planning purposes: https://support.ca.com/phpdocs/7/common/greenbooks/CA_Clarity_PPM_Implementing_Security_Green_Book_ENU.pdf

Thanks again everyone and see you back here in June!

@Damon Thanks, the general on types of rights and areas of the rights should still have some validity and thanks for the link.

from Venita to Everyone:

@Damon  Thanks.  We've been in production for a while now and with so many new people, we need a new perspective looking at security.