Clarity

• 1.  Does anyone know why Non-Labor resources, for example "Equipment" doesn't have an availability time lapse as Labor resources?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2015 05:03 AM

Hi All,

I am analysing requirements for a equipment based solution in Resource Management and from my testing I don't seem to find a Resource Finder with time lapsed availability for Non-Labor Equipment resources.

Almost looks like CA PPM is assuming you have infinitive units of that equipment. Is there anything that I am missing? Does this makes sense?

Rui

• 2.  Re: Does anyone know why Non-Labor resources, for example "Equipment" doesn't have an availability time lapse as Labor resources?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2015 09:19 PM

If an equipment resource has a non-zero availability rate, it will show up with a computed allocation when added to a team.

Reference CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Resources with or without Availability

• 3.  Re: Does anyone know why Non-Labor resources, for example "Equipment" doesn't have an availability time lapse as Labor resources?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2015 10:05 AM

Hi Kathryn,

thank you for your response, and let me congratulate for the great article about resources.

I believe that I understood the concept of availability/capacity and my question in around one particular point, non-labor resources.

Please take into account the following example, let's suppose you have a equipment resource configured as "Green Room" with availability 0 (can be non-zero but it's not relevant for my case point).

Now let's add two projects (A and B) with same start and finish dates (they must overlap in some point of time), and for both projects I assign a project team with a equipment role for example "Training Room".

After that, I start resourcing for project A role "Training Room" and I would expect to see all named resourced (in this case "Green Room") with availability for my project dates, right? Well, what happens is not exactly that because dates or allocations aren't taken into account... but well as there is no allocations to the resource we allocate "Green Room" 100% to project A.

The problem is already in this Resource Assignment, because CA PPM simple uses a "Select Resource" for non/labor roles and a full "Resource Finder" as it uses for labor. In "Select Resource" it doesn't take into account start/finish dates, current allocations, etc...

Later, I enter in project B and start resourcing for Project B, my expectations are that I could see that "Green Room" had already allocations for same dates and decide if overallocate of find a better resource but no, the system doesn't give me any information about the non/labor resources allocations and this is were we are unable to see the capacity/availability of the equipment.

Does this makes sense? Shouldn't the "Resource Finder" functionality be the same for "Equipment"?

Also, in any page you can see a graphical representation of this non/labor over allocations, only in Resource allocations and it's in list format.

Hope to have made my case clear.

Kind Regards,

Rui Engana

• 4.  Re: Does anyone know why Non-Labor resources, for example "Equipment" doesn't have an availability time lapse as Labor resources?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2015 10:30 AM

Additionally, if we're talking about "Availability" or "Capacity" in a non/labor Resource my first thoughts are:

1 - Never rollup the "Availability" value as effort to project plan. It's a non/labor resource so we could never rollup effort, only cost.

2 - We could use "Availability" value to configure the Hours/Day the Resource is available, as this could easily allow us to do Inventory Management.

Kind Regards,

Rui Engana