CA Service Management

• 1.  SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 04, 2015 12:38 PM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if you can modify the information that gets pulled into the 'Message Text' field on the manual notify screen?  We typically get a lot of really long ticket descriptions that have more characters than the 4000 that's allowed in this field.  I would like to be able to have it truncate the ticket description at a certain number of characters.  Does anyone know if this can be changed, and if it can, how?

If that can't be changed, then I'm looking at how to change the manual notify message template to at least truncate the ticket description in the email that is sent.  Does anyone know what the syntax would be in the message template to truncate it?  Currently it has this:  Description: @{call_req_id.description}

Thanks!

Tammy

• 2.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 04, 2015 12:42 PM

So wait.. I think the contents that are pulled into the manual notify screen are controlled by the message template.  True?  If that's the case, then if I can get the second part of my question answered (to get the correct syntax for truncating the ticket description in the message template), then that would be great.

Thanks,

Tammy

• 3.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 10, 2015 02:00 PM

Nobody has any feedback on what the syntax would be in the manual notify message template to truncate the ticket description field? 

Currently it has this:  Description: @{call_req_id.description}

Thanks,

Tammy

• 4.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2015 04:45 PM

I don't know the anwser.

I recall that SDM will truncate the description if it is longer than 4000 chars, at least in the old versions. In your case, what version of SDM

you have and it sends full descrition even it is longer than 4000 chars?

• 5.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 10, 2015 04:51 PM

4000 is the size of description field:

description          STRING(4000)

• 6.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 10, 2015 07:57 PM

Hi Chi,

Yes, the manual notify screen will not allow anymore than 4000 characters.  But it doesn't truncate it to 4000 when it pulls it into the 'message text' field of the manual notify screen.  You get an error when you click the 'notify' button, and then have to remove enough text to get it down to 4000.

We are running version 12.7, with cume2 applied.  I was thinking that what gets pulled into the 'message text' field was being controlled by what you have defined in the manual notify message template, so truncating it on the message template would be how to truncate it on the 'message text' field.  But I'm going to review Gutis' suggestion to see if I can do that to shorten what is pulled into the 'message text' field.  I think that in doing that, it would also shorten what is included in the manual notify email that is sent out?  If yes, that would accomplish both of the things that I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Tammy

• 7.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 10, 2015 05:18 PM

You can do this by customizing nf.htmpl. The message is defined in

document.main_form.elements["KEEP.msgtxt"].value = document.main_form.initial_msgtxt.value;

so instead of document.main_form.initial_msgtxt.value you can pass any string for example:

var str = "$args.description";

document.main_form.elements["KEEP.msgtxt"].value = str.substring(1, 4);

• 8.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 10, 2015 08:04 PM

Hi Gutis,

Thank you.  I will review this when I can and see if I can get it to work.  I'm not experienced with really understanding the 'code' though, so I'm not sure if your example is going to give me what I'm looking for, or if it's just an example of how you can modify that line.  

Thanks,

Tammy

• 9.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 15, 2015 11:37 AM

Hi Tammy - Did Giedrius' response help you resolve your issue? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks! Chris

• 10.  Re: SDM Manual Notify question about the ticket description field

Posted Sep 15, 2015 07:58 PM

I've had some family emergencies, and won't be able to try the suggestion out for awhile.  I can mark the post as 'assumed answered' though.

Thanks,

Tammy