Symantec Access Management

• 1.  How to clean up data in a SiteMinder Report Server database?

Posted Apr 09, 2015 06:16 PM

We have a Report Server for SiteMinder r12 with CA Business Intelligence 3.2 on a Windows server using MS SQL for the database. The size of the database has grown to the point where it has filled the drive it's on. Having never worked with MS SQL or CA Business Intelligence 3.2 before, I'm trying to find out how I can clean up all data added before 2015. And maybe even some "best practices" for database management or even just some documentation on how to work with CA Business Intelligence 3.2. So far everything I have found has been about setting up the reporting server, using the SiteMinder UI to generate reports, and things of that nature. Nothing about how to limit the amount of data being kept in the database.

Thank You.

• 2.  Re: How to clean up data in a SiteMinder Report Server database?

Posted Apr 14, 2015 01:26 AM

Hi,

The database that you mentioned is it referring to Report Server database or Audit database that Report Server used to generate report? Based on my understanding from your description, it seems you are pointing to Report Server database. Correct me if that's incorrect.

As per my understanding, Report server database is mainly store admin data that related to Report server and shouldn't grow rapidly as compare to Audit database (which capture auth/az audit data). Therefore, there is no document explain on what data need to clean up.

I didn't check what tables reside in Report Server database nor what data it stored. However, if you want to delete any data, I suggest you perform a backup to the database first. In tables, I presume there is timestamp on when the data was being stored. You can make use that as reference if you want to delete data added before 2015. I didn't try  to clean data from Report server database before. What I mentioned is for your reference only and suggest to test in lower environment first.

Regards,

Kar Meng

• 3.  Re: How to clean up data in a SiteMinder Report Server database?

Posted Apr 14, 2015 02:21 AM

Hi there,

Your question is out of scope of the support of CA Single Sign On (formerly CA SiteMinder).

It has more to do with CA Business Intelligence.

For the best practices for CABI, you can use following KB article which has link to many best practices for CABI:

https://support.ca.com/phpdocs/0/common/impcd/r11/CABI/CABI_Frame.htm

Some of the most important link relevant to your question being :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c0020482-ca8d-2c10-9bad-d1bd332bbb28?QuickLink=index&…

This deals with backup and recovery best practices.

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/xi3-1_bip_admin_en.pdf

This is SAP Business Objects Admin Guide.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Ujwol Shrestha

• 4.  Re: How to clean up data in a SiteMinder Report Server database?

Posted Apr 21, 2015 02:34 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Ultimately it turned out that it's a MSQL cleanup script that was failing. Initially I talked to one of the MSQL admins and asked if they could cleanup entries by date and they said "no" which is why I went looking else where. However, one of the other administrators, said that this was possible and there is a MSQL job which was suppose to be doing it but was failing. So they corrected the issue and now the data is being cleaned up.