DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Alarm Filter - Alarm Line

Posted Jan 12, 2010 05:16 PM
    I'm trying to use Alarm Line to show connectivity between two devices in my SDP desktop. I've placed the Alarm Line component and the two devices which are connected.

My problem is that I'm very new to SDP and I can't get a grasp on how to configure this Alarm Line between these two devices. I've fumbled around in Set Alarm Filter options, but I can't figure out what config to put where.

Any input is appreciated! :smileyhappy:

• 2.  Alarm Filter - Alarm Line

Posted Jan 12, 2010 05:54 PM
    What kind of alarm(s) do you want that alarm line to show?

One of the most accurate ways to determine what should go into the alarm filter is to trigger the alarm you want to show in the SDP.  Then you can take the information you see for the active alarm and use that to set the alarm filter in the SDP.  That eliminates most of the guesswork, but sometimes forcing or simulating an alarm condition can be tricky.

-Keith

• 3.  Alarm Filter - Alarm Line

Posted Jan 12, 2010 05:57 PM
    Hi Keith.

Thanks for the fast feedback! :smileyhappy:

I want it to show if the interface (cable) between two routers goes down by any reason.

• 4.  Alarm Filter - Alarm Line

Posted Jan 13, 2010 01:40 AM
    And how are you monitoring that?  Using the interface_traffic probe to check the status of the interface on each router?

-Keith

• 5.  Alarm Filter - Alarm Line

Posted Jan 13, 2010 12:48 PM
    Well, thats kinda my question! :smileyhappy:

What probe should I be using to accomplish this problem?

• 6.  Alarm Filter - Alarm Line

Posted Jan 13, 2010 06:22 PM
    If you use the interface_traffic probe to monitor the operational state of the interface on either router, that should tell you if there is a failure between the routers.  You could monitor the interface on each end of the connection, but it would probably be sufficient to monitor just one of them.

-Keith