Clarity

• 1.  Add not Assigned task to timesheet

Posted Dec 23, 2014 10:00 AM

Hi, We are using Clarity 7.5.3.

We need to add one task to a resource's timesheet where the resource is not assigned to that project. We have tried to do it by 'Add Task', but that project is not available in not-assigned project list.

Could you please guide me which projects are listed in the not-assigned list and is there any way to add that task to timesheet without assigning the resource to that project?

Thanks

Aradhana

• 2.  Re: Add not Assigned task to timesheet
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 23, 2014 10:24 AM

"Assigned" refers to tasks (not projects), "Allocated" refers to projects.

A resource needs to be allocated to a project in order to book time to it - but not necessarily assigned to a task on the project.

--

So the projects which are listed in the not-assigned list are really tasks on project - i.e. that list shows you the tasks that you are not assigned to on projects which you are allocated to.

• 3.  Re: Add not Assigned task to timesheet

Posted Dec 24, 2014 05:31 AM

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your reply. Then I need to allocate the resource to that project. Thank you for the clarification.

Thanks,

Aradhana

• 4.  Re: Add not Assigned task to timesheet

Posted Dec 24, 2014 05:35 AM

Yes, exactly!    A resource always needs to be allocated to a project (i.e. be a team member of that project) in order to book time for that project.

• 5.  Re: Add not Assigned task to timesheet

Posted Dec 26, 2014 10:29 AM

Dave,

Do you know if it is possible to turn off the ability for allocated resources to be able to add unassigned tasks to their timesheets?  Our project managers would rather time trackers contact them if they need a task they are not assigned to before posting time there.

Thanks, Linda

• 6.  Re: Add not Assigned task to timesheet

Posted Dec 26, 2014 12:19 PM

The short answer is Yes.

For details see

https://communities.ca.com/message/100609987#100609987

• 7.  Re: Add not Assigned task to timesheet

Posted Dec 26, 2014 04:03 PM

Dave:

Yes, exactly!    A resource always needs to be allocated to a project (i.e. be a team member of that project) in order to book time for that project.

Thanks for the education.

Tried to understand that by opening a case in 2004 and only now do I see the light until now.

Being able to add unassigned tasks or no is a system setting with the options varying if different versions of Clarity. It has nothing to do with rights.

While allocating resources to a project is booking and requires booking rights and cannot be substituted or overridden with any setting.

It is to be noted that the functionality of adding unassigned task as Dave points out is limited to those projects into which the resource is already booked.

The booking functionality is outside the timesheets and time entry process.

That is even if the user has booking rights (eg is the resource manager) while adding tasks to the timesheet of another other resource he cannot book the resource to a new project through the timesheets.

That is only the projects where the resource is already in the team are available and it is not possible to add projects that are not already there. (The booking must be done where it is normally done.