DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Execute a script via dashboard

Posted Oct 09, 2010 08:28 PM

Is it possible to create a button on a dashboard that will execute a script or force a probe to run outside of its normal check interval to confirm a problem.

For example:

Alarm indicator goes red on a dashboard. In order to determine the problem is not a false alarm, customer would click a button or on the alarm indicator itself and a script would run against the target node to confirm the issue or force a probe to run outside of its normal check interval.

As far as I can see it not possible. Perhaps a drill down into the actual alarms and execute a script from there?

Hope this makes sense, let me know if you need more clarification.

• 2.  Re: Execute a script via dashboard

Posted Oct 10, 2010 01:20 AM

This was possible within the old Enterprise Console (Active X based) which is what we used to use for dashboard development, however, we abandoned it since it was IE/Microsoft only and was very difficult to publish to the internet.

Unfortunately, this type of functionality is not currently available in the UMP, it is possible to call URL's but not actual applications... Though it would definitely be feasible to write what you outlined with the Web Services SDK, but then it isn't possible to reference from the dashboards so that would have to be an enhancement.

Dustin

• 3.  Re: Execute a script via dashboard

Posted Oct 11, 2010 05:52 PM

Feature parity with EC dashboards is something that has been promised since SDP first came out. I wonder if we are ever going to actually deliver that...

The cool thing is that now the UMP dashboards could "only" have the option to send a request to a probe. The nexec probe could run an external command on its behalf if that were needed.

• 4.  Re: Execute a script via dashboard

Posted Oct 11, 2010 06:24 PM

I would consider running the script from a NAS profile to verify the authenticity of the alert and/or execute a remote script via the nexec probe. I would suggest using the pre-processing rules to make the incoming event invisible, then a nas profile that runs the script to verify the alarm. If verified, then turn alarm visible, if not, clear it.

• 5.  Re: Execute a script via dashboard

Posted Oct 11, 2010 07:40 PM

Lee,

Another option here is to use the Alarm Console to initiate actions, basically, the Nimsoft Alarm Console could be published to a web page using the old Web Publisher (if you want step by step directions call me) and from there you could embed it into the UMP, if the customer really wanted to set this up in a dashboard they could also use this method with the old EC dashboards, the thing to remember is:

• This cannot be accessed outside of IE since it's ActiveX (no Chrome or Firefox options)
    • This cannot be accessed (easily...) over the web
    Example: