DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Not able to identify Transactions in CA APM

Posted Apr 15, 2015 04:51 AM

Hi,

We have Introscope 9.7 installed on Linux platform. We have installed one webserver agent on IBM HTTP server and one java agent to monitor WebSphere application. We are able to get good metrics from both in the Investigator.

Now we have enabled transaction recording feature using agent in Introscope. From CEM console, we can record transactions but in our application URL of an application flows the same throuout the application. Like applet loading in the webpage.

"http://<website>/corpbanking/entry" this URL remains constant when we login to netbanking application --> Click on check account details or --> Transfer funds

We can see above URL in CEM recoding session window but how can we identify which transaction took place because URL is same.

Please help.

Thanks,

Nikhil Kalwint

• 2.  Re: Not able to identify Transactions in CA APM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2015 06:50 AM

Dear Nikhil:

There are some conditions where APM Transaction identification is more of an art rather than a science. This is one of them. You are going to need some sort of tiebreaker across the various definition. This includes

- Request and Response Bodies

- Response Definitions

- Does Not exist where one field is one occurrence but not another.

- Have an operations header variable added to the application to give the transaction location/state

Using something like a fiddler trace may help give insight

I hope this helps. You may open a support case and in North America ask the Engineer for me to help them. A webex is likely needed

Thanks

Hal German

APM Tech Support

• 3.  Re: Not able to identify Transactions in CA APM

Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:46 PM

Hi Nikhil,

I too faced the similar issue.If I am not wrong, your application is working on the entitlements where your main URL doesn't change but your referring URL (dynamic) does.

But as a work around, as Harlett suggested, you need to look into your component details which would be differing in one or the other sense.

For e.g., in my case it was a portal WAS server where requests are been entertained at front-tier passing from Webserver. Therefore, we use to get a component called "Portal Description" in Response Headers which actually represents your business transaction. [This is nothing but Portal page name pertaining to each portlet]

Similarly, you can check for Referring URL etc which might be unique to every transaction. So as suggested, please take help of Fiddler (or even recorded sessions will be having those data) to identify unique transaction.

I would suggest perform recording transactions manually and then go with bulk option.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Vaibhav