Clarity PPM

Expand all | Collapse all

How many concurrent xog calls CA PPM support?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  How many concurrent xog calls CA PPM support?

Posted 05-22-2015 11:17 AM

Hi

We are in the assessment process of implementing the Clarity Excel Interface to update the Resource Allocations. We are anticipating somewhere 60-75 no.of Project Managers will be using this utility.

One thing I'm not sure prior to implement this is - As this Utility surely use XOG calls to update the data , let's say 10-20 managers are trying to update the data concurrently with 1MB -MB size file( FYI - obviously each and every manager will be updating different set of resources data only)

1. Any performance impact on Clarity Application?

2. Any possibility these concurrent xog calls end up in dead lock and bring the Application down?

I tried to search the XOG documentation / Internet to find out what's the System allowed maximum no.of concurrent XOG transactions.

If anyone has any idea / has experience related to max no.of concurrent xog calls, please provide your inputs/ comments.

Best Regards

Jagadeesh

• 2.  Re: How many concurrent xog calls CA PPM support?

Posted 05-22-2015 11:26 AM

Hi Jagadeesh,

It depends on how you have configured/allocated the servers to xog, you can have a dedicated xog server which can be used. Concurrency is something you need to take care like you are updating a table via xog and same time the job run it can cause the dead locks. Technically there is no limitation, however XOG calls are much improved by introducing the Maximum XML Nodes.

Below is the bench mark of the memory utilization with the number of nodes, so you can allocate accordingly

Xog.jpg

Hope this helps and have a great weekend.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 3.  Re: How many concurrent xog calls CA PPM support?

Posted 05-22-2015 11:44 AM

Hi Jagadeesh,

whenever you are using excel to send any type of WSDL messages to an application, you must consider 2 things.  1 of course is the application to ensure that it can handle concurrency well, but the other is also user experience. Whenever Macros are enabled in excel, they tend to lock the excel while it is processing the data. If you have large concurrently, the application will take a little longer to send (and receive responses from the application), causing the users excel to be held hostage by the macro. This can cause unnecessary  delays to your end users.

Hope this helps

Federico

• 4.  Re: How many concurrent xog calls CA PPM support?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-22-2015 11:51 AM

Hi Suman, Thanks very much for your prompt response. Much Appreciated.

Keep the point of - job to update the same time(side for now) may lead to deadlock, this i'll agree and this we can take care by schedule the jobs later in the night.

But my main point here is

1. As I mentioned for example - Let's consider we have implemented Excel interface to update resource data and assume that 25 different Project manager Users are trying to update their data using this utility concurrently/at the same time.

Do you think does it impact any system performance? Any possibility system may go down because of dead locks?

Why I'm little bit worried about this is - I know that XOG is intended for limited members (only Clarity admin/development group of users - in most cases XOG access will be given to less than 10 members). But in this case we are anticipating around 75 project manager role users getting the xog access and will be updating the data using this excel utility.

FYI - we are using OD Model of Clarity 13.3 and we have 10k Clarity User base count.

Best Regards

Jaagdeesh

• 5.  Re: How many concurrent xog calls CA PPM support?

Posted 05-22-2015 12:12 PM

Hi Jaagdesh,

Yes it can have a significant impact on the application performance. Please get in discussion with the Account Management team to get this load evaluated.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 6.  Re: How many concurrent xog calls CA PPM support?

Posted 05-22-2015 12:15 PM

Thanks Suman and that makes perfect sense to me!