CA Service Management

• 1.  Average Analyst License Usage?

Posted Sep 29, 2014 09:04 AM

Good morning!

I'm attempting to determine the average, or at least the high-end of the amount of Analyst licenses being consumed at any given time in CA SDM r12.6.  I am mildly familiar with the ability to add the license usage to the standard log, but feel I may be doing something wrong.

It seems that the data being output into the standard log is nearly unmanagable in its current form, at least for my usage.

My goal is to be able to say "The most Analyst licenses ever in use at once was X, and our average for the lasrt Y numbers of days is Z."

Does anyone have any suggestions on the most efficient and managable way to obtain this information?

Thank you for your time!

Tim Dasher

• 2.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Posted Sep 29, 2014 12:55 PM

Hello Tim,

This would be a manual task. Here are few steps you may try

• In order to capture the license usage you will have to run the command pdm_logstat -f lic_mgr.c 1000
    • The generic license usage message will be

09/29 07:15:04.89 sdservername license_nxd 10216 TRACE lic_mgr.c 470 License acquired for MfBAAA@web:local; 8 2USD    licenses in use

• From the command prompt of the server navigate to the Servicedesk logs folder. You may the run below commands in sequence

nxcd (Hit Enter)

cd log (Hit Enter)

• From the same command prompt run the command

type stdlog.* | find /i "2USD licenses in use" > license_usage.txt

• Open the license_usage.txt in a TEXTPAD or NOTEPAD++. I would prefer TEXTPAD.
    • Use Block Select Mode feature to just copy the date and time from TOP to Bottom in the TEXTPAD. Open EXCEL and paste it in the first column.
    • Again use the BLOCK SELECT MODE feature in TEXTPAD to just select the number of licenses from TOP To Bottom in TEXTPAD. Copy them into the 2nd column of the EXCEL Sheet.
    • Now the EXCEL will have 2 columns (1) Date and Time (2) Number of Licenses
    • Sort the 2nd column from Highest to Lowest.
    • This will give you the count of licenses in order highest to lowest with the date and time.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Nas

• 3.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2014 01:18 PM

Good alternative Nas.

Out of the box, we do have some KPIs and am wondering if that can be considered too? Check out this: SAP Portal Services

In addition, specifically for 12.7 cumulative#2 -> SAP Portal Services

_R

• 4.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 02:51 PM

Nas,

I had great luck with your instructions; thank you!

Do you know, is this output a result of Analyst-level license consumption, or does it combine Employee and Analyst sessions?

Thanks,

Tim

• 5.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Posted Oct 02, 2014 12:33 AM

Hi

The license count is only for Analysts. It does combine Employees as they don't consume a license.

Regards

Nas

• 6.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Posted Oct 02, 2014 08:41 AM

Thanks, Nas.

I originally understood exactly what you stated above, but began to doubt myself, when my license usage was 3-4* what I originally expected to see.

I'm going to mark this as answered. Thank you all!

Tim

• 7.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2014 02:54 PM

To add what Raghu.Rudraraju mentioned, the KPI data set can then be exposed to CABI reporting and scheduled reports be delivered to the necessary stakeholders.

• 8.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 09:10 AM

Thank you all for your assistance! I greatly appreciate the information, and will put it to use.

Have a great day!

• 9.  Re: Average Analyst License Usage?

Posted May 15, 2015 07:53 PM

For anyone looking for some details on which KPI to use and how to use OOTB reporting to see this, check out How to gather concurrent license usage statistics for CA Service Desk Manager.pdf