DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Improving UMP responsiveness

• 1.  Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Aug 31, 2011 05:20 PM

Hello all,

We are currently using the UMP 2.1 in a lab environment, but are having some problems with the speed of the UMP.  Everything seems slow - loading the portlets takes about 10 seconds, and then 20 seconds later the data for a given portlet (including the alarm console!) finally loads.

Currently, our implementation consists of 4 VMs on two ESXi Hypervisors - the primary hub and the DB on one hypervisor, and the UMP and the secondary hub on another.  These hypervisors are not that loaded, either.  I have given the following mem/cpu parameters to the VMs.

MySQL DB server - 4CPUs, 4GB of memory

UMP - 1 CPU, 6GB of memory

pri/sec  hub - 2GB, 1 CPU.

All of these are running linux (centos or ubuntu).  Does anyone have any tips & tricks or best practices to improve the UMP resonsiveness?  or, can anyone offer advice on how to figure out where the slowdown is occuring?

• 2.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Aug 31, 2011 06:15 PM

One thing we ran into here is Anti-virus on the servers.  McAfee for example has the On-Access scan which can really slow down your UMP.  Try putting an exclusion for an access type scans into your anti-virus on the server.  That change alone made a big difference for us.

Thanks,

Dave

• 3.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Aug 31, 2011 08:06 PM

Is it slow using Https and HTTP or just HTTPS?

• 4.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Aug 31, 2011 08:50 PM
    We are just using http, not https. We also don't have Linux servers running. The CPU utilization is not that high on average, but I should check the load with top while we are accessing to see if were getting pegged there. Is wasp multithreaded?

• 5.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Aug 31, 2011 10:15 PM
    Looking at top, the load on these systems is not very great... memory utilization is low as well, even when I try to pull up the Alarm Console. Listing the Alarms in the console take about 40 seconds to load... and there are only 7 active alarms!

• 6.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 01, 2011 02:16 AM

Are you using UMP 2.1.2? If so I had issues previously with slowness with all the portlets that seem to be resolved when i installed UMP without including the Dashboard API. But i needed the API so i copied out the Folder Structure and found the file difference within each portlet. The file that seemed to be different per Portlet was the Main.swf file.

My Current AlarmConsole Main.swf file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\probes\service\wasp\webapps\alarmconsole\flex  is 844 KB. Check yours and see if it matches this? If not let me know and i can attach it here and you can give that a shot.

• 7.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 01, 2011 02:53 AM
    Yes I am using UMP 2.1.2, but it was slow even on 1.5. Do you have to reinstall to get the UMP without the API?

• 8.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 01, 2011 03:10 AM

Trey,

Hey man, how goes things? You may want to try UMP 2.5 as I suspect the culprit are the List Views as 2.0 and prior didn't have limiters; they try to show EVERYTHING in the list views so they really put some load on the DB!

Dustin

• 9.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 01, 2011 03:13 AM

Oh, and I just noticed your question on the API: I haven't personally heard this as causing overhead issues in the past (have me curious now...) but you could test this without an uninstall by disabling the API from within the WASP, it's listed as DAPI in the WASP Probe, you can just right click on it and hit stop webapp.

Dustin

• 10.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 07, 2011 04:58 PM

Hey Dustin, long time no see!

I'll download 2.5.1 (found it on the portal under Unified Management Portal - a name change!) and see if the responsiveness gets any better. 

• 11.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 09, 2011 12:08 AM

Is there any tuning that needs to occur with UMP after a default installation?  We are running it on Windows 2008 R2 64-BIT and was wondering if there is any specific tuning to the OS or UMP itself to run optimally that isn't configured during the install.

• 12.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 09, 2011 03:38 PM

I did a few things such as moving the default tm/ temp folder to something other than the os partion as ump places files in there and what we noticed is that unified reporter also did for caching I believe.  Also using 64bit java and have bumped up the memory for ump from the default.  

• 13.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 09, 2011 07:18 PM

were is the config setting for the memory for UMP?  I can see what memory it's using by going to control panel > Server Administration.  Or is it the wasp > setup > general > java startup parameters?

• 14.  Re: Improving UMP responsiveness

Posted Sep 10, 2011 03:41 PM

It's in the wasp probe.  You also have mem settinging in dashboard engine.