Symantec Access Management

• 1.  siteminder policy store migration - SUN to CA directory migration

Posted Mar 17, 2015 11:03 AM

I am planning to do siteminder policy/key store migration.

We are moving from SUNONE directory to CA directory.

I was thinking of using XPS tools to do this.

But I read the article ...

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec483208.aspx?intcmp=searchresult…

suggest we can directly migrate the siteminder policy data from SUN to CA bypassing siteminder XPS.

SO I am wondering which is a better way (Pros and cons)? (Initially I thought XPS is easier)

If I am using XPS ways.. I have the import the schema, FSS schema, default data objects etc... but seems that I do not have to manipulate the ldif  data and schema by myself.

If you guys have established knowledge based article talking about XPS migration, it would be ncie as well?

Please advise?

Thanks and regards,
    Eric

• 2.  Re: siteminder policy store migration - SUN to CA directory migration

Posted Mar 25, 2015 03:51 PM

Anyone able to assist here?

Thank you

Eric TSE wrote:

I am planning to do siteminder policy/key store migration.

We are moving from SUNONE directory to CA directory.

I was thinking of using XPS tools to do this.

But I read the article ...

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec483208.aspx?intcmp=searchresult…

suggest we can directly migrate the siteminder policy data from SUN to CA bypassing siteminder XPS.

SO I am wondering which is a better way (Pros and cons)? (Initially I thought XPS is easier)

If I am using XPS ways.. I have the import the schema, FSS schema, default data objects etc... but seems that I do not have to manipulate the ldif  data and schema by myself.

If you guys have established knowledge based article talking about XPS migration, it would be ncie as well?

Please advise?

Thanks and regards,
    Eric

• 3.  Re: siteminder policy store migration - SUN to CA directory migration

Posted Apr 21, 2015 08:58 AM

Can anyone tell me how you do it?

-use XPS way

OR

-dxschemaldif, ldif2dxc

Perhaps tell my why as well is possible?

• 4.  Re: siteminder policy store migration - SUN to CA directory migration
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 21, 2015 10:58 AM

If we want to be ignorant of fact of the underlying type of store (LDAP in old and ODBC in new OR even different LDAP flavours as in this case), use siteminder proprietary tools e.g. XPSExport and Import.

Regards

Hubert

• 5.  Re: siteminder policy store migration - SUN to CA directory migration

Posted Apr 21, 2015 12:50 PM

Thank you

• 6.  Re: siteminder policy store migration - SUN to CA directory migration

Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:45 PM

You are welcome, there is also certain pros / cons

Using SiteMinder Tools can be painful, especially if the Policy Store Data is corrupted. However it does provide us the opportunity to go through the dirty objects and clean the store whilst migrating. Thus learning from mistakes and outlining a better object creation / deletion / management process post the migration.

Using LDAP underlying tools may be quicker; however it masks any issues on the Data Object Layer for SiteMinder objects created / linked with each other in the PStore. In short, if something is dirty, we just carry forward the dirt into the new house.

Hope this helps you weigh enough on what is more important and make the decision appropriately.

Regards

Hubert

• 7.  Re: siteminder policy store migration - SUN to CA directory migration

Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:48 PM

Thanks again