DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

• 1.  Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Sep 21, 2012 01:51 PM

The manual for net_connect states:

"Import data from a /etc/hosts file by dragging the selection into the navigation pane. The import format must be on the form "ip-address hostname"."

Now you would expect that you could drag the file but thats not the case. Open the file (or create a new one) in "wordpad" ensure it's in the "ip-address <tab> hostname" format.

Highlight the text and drag THAT into the net_connect probe. :smileyhappy:

• 2.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Sep 21, 2012 05:20 PM

As carl states make sure it's wordpad.  You can also drag into cisco monitor I believe adding a community string.

• 3.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Dec 14, 2012 11:05 AM

Hi,

I am not able to drag from wordpad to net_connect. I highlight it and when I try to drag it to the navigation panel it shows me the "forbidden sign" in cursor.

net_connect 2.81 and from wordpad using "IP<tab>hostname" dont let me to drag anything. Tried with probe activated and deactivated. Nothing works.

Javier

• 4.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Dec 14, 2012 04:57 PM

Are you dragging the profiles to the profiles area if you just drag it to a folder it will ask if you want it in that folder or the root.

• 5.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Dec 14, 2012 10:07 PM

Is it possible UAC interferes with this?

• 6.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Dec 15, 2012 04:57 PM
    I didnt see any UAC window or something. If it is interfering I dont really know :smileysad:

This feature is so interesting for me. Let's see if we can find the problem.

Thanks both.

• 7.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Dec 15, 2012 11:18 PM

I do not think you would get a prompt or popup for UAC if that is what is breaking it. I think it would just not work. Allowing separate processes to interact is a bit different than launching a program that requires admin prvileges.

Can you disable UAC temporarily to see if that makes a difference?

I have seen UAC break other ways in which applications interact, but I have no idea if that is the problem here.

• 8.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Dec 15, 2012 04:56 PM
    I am dragging them to the profiles area. Not inside a folder. I tried also in a folder but it only shows me a forbidden sign as a the mouse cursor and it does not ask anything. Just does nothing.

Javier

• 9.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Jan 17, 2013 10:40 AM

Disabled and worked.

Is there the possibility to import only the hostnames? Or only IPS? Didnt work with <tab> <tab> hostname or with a blank space.

Once the hostname and IP are configured in the profile, if the IP or the hostname of that machine changes..what should happen? It will generate alarm? update new IP? update new hostname?

Thanks

• 10.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Jan 22, 2013 12:28 PM
    Any idea about my questions?

Javier

• 11.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Jan 22, 2013 05:00 PM

I don't believe you can import just one column such as ip or hostname as you need the provile name and ip address to create a profile.  I am not sure on you other question but I would assume if you ping a hostname and the ip of that host changes it would still be pinging.

• 12.  Re: Net_Connect: Mass Import from Hosts file

Posted Jan 29, 2013 03:19 PM
    Thanks for reply.

About second question, when I import a list of hostname/IP with wrong hostname, it seems to keep pinging the IP, thats why I asked what hapens if the IP changes having a correct hostname, probe will keep pinging the IP, not the hostname, right?

Javier