DX Infrastructure Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Best Practices for exchange_monitor_backend

• 1.  Best Practices for exchange_monitor_backend

Posted 09-20-2011 08:51 PM

Greetings, I would like to get a feel of the following?

1. For the exchange_monitor_backend probe, are you placing this probe on the hub or the exchange server? It appears it can go either place

2. For the data collected, are you creating a new DB i.e. NimExchange or allowing it to write to the NimsoftSLM?

We are testing this probe for deployment, and I would like to have some insight in to what others are doing.

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Best Practices for exchange_monitor_backend

Posted 09-20-2011 09:41 PM

The backend probe needs to run on a server that can communicate with the database server. The hub is probably the more natural location in my opinion, but it could run on the Exchange server if the database server is reachable from there. I think it would be better to minimize the extra processes running on the Exchange server, so I would keep the backend probe on the hub. You will still need to run the exchange_monitor probe on the Exchange server anyway.

I used the probe quite a while ago, and at that time it only supported using the NimsoftSLM database. Based on my experience, I would strongly recommend using a separate database for the Exchange monitoring. We had problems a few times with data not expiring at the right time, which caused the tables to get very large and slow down performance of the database. These issues were a bit hard to spot within a database, but I think it would be a lot easier to tell if a standalone database is growing faster than normal.