DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Discovery headaches

Posted Jun 21, 2013 09:03 PM

Getting a bit frustruated with the lack of information on discovery, but if I define a scope and tell the discovery agent to use all the services to identify devices (ICMP, ARP, LDAP, NetBIOS, SNMP, WMI, etc..), it seems the only service/protocol that will return data about a discovered device is the SNMP protocol....  What good are all the other ones?  If I use ICMP, all it tells me is that discovery found a specific IP but nothing else beyond that.  And if my agent can't communicate with a random device using SNMP, I can't tell anything about that device..  Am I missing something?

• 2.  Re: Discovery headaches

Posted Jun 21, 2013 09:09 PM

WMI will only be able to discover anything usefull if you set up credentials and apply them to the appropriate scope.

Once that is done then WMI should find out more details of the hosts it can connect too.

• 3.  Re: Discovery headaches

Posted Jun 21, 2013 09:25 PM

Which would be great for windows...  But where I have unix boxes, other network devices, appliances, LTM's GTM's... That's probably going to be SNMP huh?

• 4.  Re: Discovery headaches

Posted Jun 21, 2013 09:43 PM

Did you give snmp credentials? I think it may come with public as a default.

You can also discover usinx using ssh. Again give it some creds, apply them to a scope and go for a cuppa. It can take some time.

In the Discovery agent gui you can see some details of when a scopw was last scanned and the number of IPs scanned and the number discovered.

• 5.  Re: Discovery headaches

Posted Jun 24, 2013 09:35 PM

Yea, we gave SNMP credentials.  The challenge there is all device in our network are only allowed to communicate via SNMP to one host.  I'm reluctant to put a Discovery Agent on that box because it's managing a Solarwinds/Orion enviornment.  So I'm not sure how much overhead that would be on that one single box.  Also, I don't have one specific credential to use for SSH and Unix... Those are our internal challenges which we would have to resolve.