DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

• 1.  HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 16, 2014 07:29 AM

Hello, we have the following scenario. We have client who is using Citrix Xenapp and when the servers reboot, they all get wipped and resort to the master clean image. When they start up again for the first time they have no robots installed on them.

I created a new host-profiles.xml file that has all 10 <host> entires for these machines and have a script that will copy this file into the hub for that client site \probesservice\automatic_deployment_engine folder. This then automatically deploys the robot to these 10 systems. 

Is there a way now to automatically install those probes and apply the template to these machines as well after ADE deploys the robot? Say the template was called WinBaseSuperPack (CDM, NTEVL, NTSERVICES, PROCESSES) 

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 16, 2014 08:34 AM

Hi,

in some XenApp cases where new app servers are deployed automatically, I've used the cloud install option of the robot in the master server. This does cause some problems though, as the master images are updated and the cloud installer has a boot count to trigger the install. There are ways to get around this, but I havent found them to be very clean.

Since you're using ADE to deploy these, I guess you could try this: in your master image, create the NMS_ROOT directory (program files\nimsoft, or whatever it is for you) and put a request.cfg there. I believe the robot should pick it up when it's installed and you then download the probes. Just make sure you have the requested packages in the local hub archive, this is a requirement for using the request.cfg

Here's an example request.cfg

<distribution request> 
    packages = WinBaseSuperPack
    </distribution request>

-jon

• 3.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 16, 2014 09:03 AM

I realize I didn't answer the question in the topic. This is one way you could deploy from commandline:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\bin> .\pu.exe -u user -p password /Domain/Hub/HubRobot/distsrv job_add '""' '""' 'logmon' '3.32' '/Domain/Hub/TargetRobot' '""' '""'

-jon

• 4.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 16, 2014 04:31 PM

I use Lua to automatically detect new robots and install our super package. You can use the following code:

arg = pds.create()
          pds.putString(arg,"job_id","AutoDeploySuperPackage")
          pds.putString(arg,"package",<package name>)
          pds.putString(arg,"robot",<robot address>)
          pds.putString(arg,"update","0")
          pds.putString(arg,"start_at","1")     

result, rc = nimbus.request("/<domain>/<hub>/<robot>/distsrv","job_add",arg)

• 5.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted Jan 15, 2016 11:09 AM

How do you detect the super package is not installed ?

• 6.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted Jan 15, 2016 02:00 PM

controller callback inst_list_summary will tell you what packaged have been deployed to the robot. It's just a history of deployed packages, though: it doesn't guarantee that those probes and configurations still exist on the robot.

• 7.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 16, 2014 06:03 PM

Thanks John. What is a request.cfg file? I have never used these before. What documentation can you point me to that can explain how they are used and by what probe? Thanks.

• 8.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 17, 2014 09:20 AM
    Tried running that on the laptop I wanted to install the probe packages on. I pointed to the hub that my laptop was talking to.

did the exact command but with cdm & version 4.81 and got the following:

May 17 02:17:38:705 pu: SSL - init: mode=0, cipher=DEFAULT, context=OK
    ======================================================
    Address: /NMS/Testhub01/Testhub01/distsrv Request: job_add
    ======================================================
    job_add failed: not found

Any ideas?

• 9.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 17, 2014 01:33 PM

I guess from the other thread you already figured request.cfg out :smileyhappy:

That message would indicate that the package is not found. Are you sure you have replicated that exact version to that distsrv?

I also tested with cdm & 4.81 and it worked alright.

What output does the following command give you:

pu.exe -u user -p password /NMS/Testhub01/Testhub01/distsrv archive_list '""' 'cdm' '4.81' ''
    May 17 13:47:22:004 pu: SSL - init: mode=0, cipher=DEFAULT, context=OK

It should be like

entry           PDS_PPDS         30
     0               PDS_PDS          22
      file_name       PDS_PCH           8 cdm.zip

-jon

• 10.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 19, 2014 09:10 PM

So wait, how do you specify to push the requst to a client hub's distsrv to push a particualr probe to a specific robot? 

Looking at your command what is the "archive_list" portion?

What I'm looking to do is say from my laptop which has the NMS Robot installed, is to utilize the pu.exe command to send a request to a remote client hub's distsrv probe to deploy say SuperPackA onto client_box1

I have the SuperPackA and all the associated probes that make up that super pack in the archive on the remote client hub's archive folder. I setup a forwarding rule to put these there off our PrimayHub. 

MyLaptop

With pu.exe running. Run the pu.exe command to send the distsrv probe on CLientHub to push out SuperPackA to ClientBox1:

ClientHub
       |_ClientHub     {use the distsrv probe to push SuperpackA to ClientBox1 below}

|_ClientBox1   {Push the probe to this box.}

• 11.  Re: HowTo: Install/Deploy Probes via command line ?

Posted May 20, 2014 07:44 AM

Hi,

If you do only "pu.exe <address to probe> <command>", it will ask you the parameters (in the same order as Probe utility GUI displays them. There you can see the required fields, which I have added as arguments to the command in my example.

archive_list is another command, "job_add" is the one you need. Archive_list with probe as a parameter displays some information about the package in archive, if it exists. It was just to verify that the package with correct version exists in your remote distsrv.

Basically, in your case, the command I posted should work if you have all the packages in the correct archive.

-jon